***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

New Member - Craig from Caloundra

Please Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

r00tc4u53
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby r00tc4u53 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:01 pm

Clicking sound is probably the pads on the newly machined discs being not so flat after probably being changed and the discs not being machined at the time. Or most likely they're low and the clicking is the piston pushing them out as far as they can to make contact with the disc, if they start making a grinding\scraping noise soon, you'll know that's the answer.

Book for the tyres? whatever that is, guessing it's some discount maintenance or something? The dealer, if they'd gotten the tyres from bob jane at all, would've paid trade price for them, and as any maintenance plan is built into the retail price of things they won't be having one. Welcome to the cricks world.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:50 pm

So they sold be a car that at the least needs new pads, probably not covered by their warranty. Again I wonder what their so called road worthy checks cover, obviously not how much meat is left on the brake pads.

Hate to think how much they will charge to change them, something I can do my self on a Sunday morning. I'd take the opportunity to paint the calipers yellow! And if I had the money swap out the rotors for drilled ones!

I dropped into the Maroochy dealership and the mechanic took it for a test drive but could not invoke the clicking, next time I'll insist on driving them and invoking the clicking.

Been out xMas shopping this morning (fun the weekend before the big day with every other idiot) just to clarify the clicking is only on heavier braking but by no means emergency braking and can be felt through the pedal, basically it's louder the harder you push the brakes. That said the brakes feel fine and there is no vibration through the steering and it's not pulling to one side.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:32 pm

Quick dash cam video of the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKc4oh5bi-o

Sorry about the commentary I took my parents out this morning for some last minute xMas shopping.

BTW how do you embed youtube clips on this forum?

my14Evo
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby my14Evo » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:01 pm

Sorry mate. I felt the same with our RA from Cricks. Lancers are a bloody good car though. If you have a base model or an MR it doesn't matter...good cars. Don't let the dealer experience get you down (shame we both chose Cricks though).
Good idea to "take THEM for a drive". Our RA was surging in 4th at 60kph. They couldn't fault it. I took them for a drive and then they could "feel it". Funny that!!!
Plasti-dip your wheels, it'll be your cheapest option. If your ever in Gympie give me a yell and I'll have a look for you (mind you, I work a roster and I did do my trade as an auto mechanic, even if I don't still work on cars. LOL)

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:16 pm

Been thinking of doing a drive using the back roads through Kenilworth and such up to Gympie.

Funny think is I had the dash-cam active when the mechanic took her out for a test drive, (yes I used her to describe my car LOL) Reviewed the video and he did a couple of stops but nothing really sudden and thats when you hear it right now.

I sent them an email with a link to the video... going by the book and keeping them informed.

Very much doubt brake pads will be covered in the warranty which is annoying and as I said I can do the job, upgraded the front discs on my coupe with bigger ones off a M21 earlier this year and hoping to do a rear disc conversion on the coupe once I get the engine done.

Anyway getting back to the VRX, how will they know if the pads were done or not if I had just done them myself, it could have been done by the previous owner?

I know the CJ is a good car, the 2.4 seems a little sluggish at low RPMs but it comes alive when you hit 3000 RPM, which is good. Around town it happily will slug along in 3rd, then lift the RPM and its like a whole different car, which is what I want. Until you do some late braking and have the annoying clicking sound!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:02 am

My first official mod! I'm embracing the black look :)

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:34 pm

No comments on my mod? :)

Okay CRICKS update!
- First the good news - I got the drive belts done, on mine they just replaced the belt, everything else was okay so no new pulleys or anything.
- Now the bad news - At some point when CRICKS were working on the vibration they stuffed up a wheel stud thread stripping it.

So after I finished work early I took a drive up to there Wises Street used dealership in Maroochy. They were more helpful replacing the stud and taking me on a test drive for the braking noise. The guy said to him it sounded like the tires making the noise, he upped the pressure to 38psi. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to test it fully on the way home as I had some shopping to do and the traffic.

Will go for a drive tomorrow as I know some nice quite back streets I can test them on. Also the vibration is still there. Not as bad as it was but still noticeable at 100km/h.

Still want some better wheels, will even take some stock 18" VRX wheels for the right price.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:49 pm

First the good news, I got the floor mats from a Mitsubishi dealer (not Cricks) as they were only a little bit more than eBay and at least I know they are genuine ones and they look great, shame they don't cover the exhaust hump in the back.

Wheels - so I spoke to the company that checked the chrome wheels for Cricks, they said the wheels are strait and have no reason to lie as they only get paid when they fix wheels.

So if its not the wheels or new tires then it's likely a problem with the brakes or drive shafts making the noise and vibrations at 110.

Also what is this?

What I was putting in the new floor mats I noticed it in the passenger foot well.

D
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby D » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:12 pm

Flare holder, in Japan from memory they are required to legally carry a flare, in case of an emergency
My EVO (X MR) progress: http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?p=328713#328713
4 cylinders, 3 diamonds, 2 litre, 1 turbo, 0 reasons to buy anything else
ROTM WINNER SEPT 2014

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:28 pm

Think I've heard of them, should it have a plug or something to cover the hole?

What have others done to file their hole, put is a small torch or something?

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:44 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:First the good news, I got the floor mats from a Mitsubishi dealer...

Now what you need to do is run down to Supercheap and buy a pair of their BestBuy cheap car mats, to put on top of your genuine Mitzi car mats to keep them in good nick...

Just me? :-P
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:21 pm

The whole point of the genuine ones are they won't slip, no point putting normal ones on top just to slip under the pedals.

Would be nice if someone had the floor mat designs online so you could make you own, or at least a cover with the holes to cut out of rubber.

Actually on that topic I've seen some precut carbon fiber for the dash vents and door handles but they are pretty expensive compared to sheets of carbon. Are there any cut out designs online for things like this?

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:48 pm

Since it's not a wheel or tire issue and I have no money for new wheels I've decided to use some of this...

Just not sure how many cans I'll need.

D
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby D » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:07 pm

Just base it on 1 can per wheel just to be safe
My EVO (X MR) progress: http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?p=328713#328713

4 cylinders, 3 diamonds, 2 litre, 1 turbo, 0 reasons to buy anything else

ROTM WINNER SEPT 2014

D
Lancer Evolution