***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Fishermen. Boot access: Anyone ever try something like this?

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Stripler
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Stripler » Mon May 14, 2012 10:53 pm

Yeah my last car was a TE magna that's why I miss the "pole hole" so much!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Just to clarify my desire for an interior solution like this to be possible:

The gear I use for most of my fishing is quite pricey and delicate so I really couldn't bring myself to strap it to roof-racks and would sooner kick one of my mates out of the car! (sorry mates haha.) As for those roof topper compartment things, most of the rods are one 7'+ piece and cannot be broken down so the compartment would be too small. Lastly, the look on your fourth mate's face when you tell him he can't come due to too many long fishing rods.... ouch! lol!

Ok things are getting interesting now! After reading VRX_pete's post about the plastic backing in the armrest I jumped in the car and popped that sucker off! the armrest hole contains, as pete said, a plastic plate which pops off, then a thin bit of fabric covering the metal framework of the seat. From the boot side there is the fabric you see in your boot loosely covering the same metal frame. There is no foam (or wires it seems) at all between the armrest and the boot, just metal frame and fabric. And very interestingly, there are a few holes in the frame already and if you put your hand in them and touch the same spot from the other side you can feel your hand.

So! The question now is.. will one of these holes be big enough for what I want? I will investigate this further after work tomorrow

OR

Can I get the tin snips out (lol) and make the hole I need without creating a safety hazard?

Thanks again for everyone's advice and opinions, I know there was a bit of arguing but it's actually helped me a great deal in advancing this potential project!

Will try and get some pictures of the situation tomorrow so everyone can see what were going on about.

Cammo00
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Cammo00 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:12 am

Hope this might work. Can u Fold seat down then put fishing rods through the hole and close seat on it wedge it between the to seats. Will that work
Love That Car. (cj-blue)

BUZZ_QWERTY
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BUZZ_QWERTY » Tue May 15, 2012 2:54 pm

I'm a keen fisherman also... i think your best bet would be to go with the roof racks... or just buy rods that split in two or are telescopic... but I'm guessing you probably have a few expensive surf rods already?

Stripler
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Stripler » Tue May 15, 2012 5:43 pm

Cammo the rods are a bit too delicate for that, and the rods would be jammed up besides the drivers seat which would be unsafe. When you put them through the folded down seat hole you have to point them towards the passenger seat to avoid this.

Nice one buzz! yeah, got some heavy graphite gear which gets regular use too, I would actually consider strapping these to the roof because you have to break them down and re-rig each time anyway but..

my daily fishing routine involves the bream gear which is always rigged and ready to go for a quick session by the river. Breaking this stuff down would be too much of a hassle (time and tide waits for no man) and the expensive reels and guides really need to stay inside the car. I have considered switching to two piece bream rods (and always love the idea of buying new rods haha!) but the one piece rods are just so sweet! especially when you fish every day. I might break down eventually and do this

Well! I was going to get in the car and figure this out tonight but I had some good news at work today so I might wait for tomorrow.

Thanks again guys.

BUZZ_QWERTY
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BUZZ_QWERTY » Wed May 16, 2012 7:33 am

What state do you live in? I need to buy some bigger better gear for the tailor season, last year I caught a decent Aussie salmon down at the spit in the gold coast. Will post the pic if I can find it lol.

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Wed May 16, 2012 9:59 am

I didn't bother looking at this thread til now, cause fishing is boring *tongue*

I can see the point of both sides on this one. I think there is probably no problem whatsoever in cutting through the back of the seat.

Having said that, purely for the sake of covering your own ass, it is a wise idea to get it properly certified by an engineer. You would hate for it to come back and bite you either as an insurance liability or a failed roadworthy just because someone doesn't want to play nice.

I have heard of this happening to people who have cut holes in non-load-bearing bodywork to fit an aftermarket intercooler pipe. Its stupid but it happens, all you need is a cop/mechanic/assessor in a bad mood. If you fish a lot, and spend a lot on your fishing gear, spend a little bit more and get it done right so that it looks like it is supposed to be there, and get an engineering certificate.

BUZZ_QWERTY
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BUZZ_QWERTY » Wed May 16, 2012 10:38 am

debonaire wrote:I didnt bother looking at this thread til now, cause fishing is boring *tongue*

Only boring if your not catching anything :P

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Wed May 16, 2012 12:41 pm

BUZZ_QWERTY wrote:[quote:dce00386ef=debonaire]I didnt bother looking at this thread til now, cause fishing is boring *tongue* [/quote:dce00386ef] Only boring if your not catching anything :P

Never did :lol:

Only time I ever caught anything was when I was about 5, and hooked a little Whiting on my dad's line while he was baiting mine :D

BUZZ_QWERTY
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BUZZ_QWERTY » Wed May 16, 2012 1:03 pm

lol

BUZZ_QWERTY
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BUZZ_QWERTY » Wed May 16, 2012 6:28 pm

never boring when your catching these!!! :P

Return to “Interior”