***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Windows Tint

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:38 am

I got my windows done the other day and the tinter (Solartint) knew about the lancer and outlander problem.

He was happy to report though after finishing that I was one of the lucky ones that had felt on the seals from the factory :) - so hopefully no scratching issues for me.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:48 pm

exaltd wrote:Hey, that 3M stuff i hear is very good for window tint... a few mates have got it, and they have no problems at all... seems to filter out UV rays no problem!

And it looks really good, and done properly it'll last longer than the dealer's stuff :) I hope at least, seems to be so on my mates' 10 yo Pulsar... he's had the tint for that long now i think and nothing's gone wrong yet (no scratching etc.).

Top stuff that is.... and really tough too :). I'd go with that even if a little more expensive.

-EXALTD-

Yup. That's exactly why I chose the 3M over the regular Midnight express stuff. About the same price so meh! Dealer wanted 595 for the 3M tint :P

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:25 pm

wow and to think i paid $190 for the darkest legal tint from the place i got it done. looks great no bubbles or scratches from the seals.
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

supra_51
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby supra_51 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:00 pm

Any places you recommend to get tinting done in Melbourne?

Deano1964
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Deano1964 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 pm

I got 2 Front Windows and felt, Black Night - 5%

$120 - Premier Tinting - Dandenong

PS: Used this company on my previous car, my brothers previous car, and all my friends. No bubbling, scratches or any problems.

Aspired
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Aspired » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:10 pm

$265 Tint Professor - Coburg
- 2 front door windows tinted
- 2 rear door windows UV film
- Rear window UV film
- Felt on all door seals

cyssero
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby cyssero » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:41 pm

I have Midnight Express on mine and it looks great but just today I've noticed the damn scratching that I thought I was impervious from.

What's the go here? 1 cm at the top of the window only noticeable when I wind it down. Do I just apply some felt over the rubber? It's bloody frustrating and I rarely wind down the windows.

The company makes a lot of promises about the tint warranty wise but they'll probably say the car caused the problem and it's not their fault - fair enough. I got it installed by the dealer but I'm doubtful they'll help very much.

Any ideas? Suck it up or complain to.. who?

Aspired
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Aspired » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:22 pm

cyssero wrote:1 cm at the top of the window only noticeable when I wind it down. Do I just apply some felt over the rubber? It's bloody frustrating and I rarely wind down the windows.
Those scratches will not be caused by the window rubber seal, which is where the felt is put on. That is most likely caused by the window seal at the top of the door. I don't think there is much you can do about that. I have those marks on my other cars aswell. The tint on my CJ is only new, so doesn't have those marks, But I expect that it will also get those marks at the top of the window in time.

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:10 pm

exaltd wrote:Hey, that 3M stuff i hear is very good for window tint... a few mates have got it, and they have no problems at all... seems to filter out UV rays no problem!

And it looks really good, and done properly it'll last longer than the dealer's stuff :) I hope at least, seems to be so on my mates' 10 yo Pulsar... he's had the tint for that long now i think and nothing's gone wrong yet (no scratching etc.).

Top stuff that is.... and really tough too :). I'd go with that even if a little more expensive.

-EXALTD-

Anyone know of any decent tinting places in Sydney that use 3M, and do a a good job at a reasonable price?

I've heard some very good feedback on the 3M film, also Johnson films seems to be "okay".

I've had a quick google and www.universaltint.com.au up on the northern beaches seems the go, but I need to shop around and would like to know quality of workmanship before I hand over my $$$ :)

I need to get off my backside and get my front side windows tinted, just been busy. :(
TBH, I'd prefer 3M, even if i have to pay a bit extra.

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:02 pm

Sorry mate, can't help :) Can only recommend that you stick with 3M products here :) As I know you already seem to be :)

Any Sydney-siders willing to help out? I only got a place here in Melbourne.

-EXALTD-

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:40 pm

exaltd wrote:Sorry mate, can't help :) Can only recommend that you stick with 3M products here :) As I know you already seem to be :)
-EXALTD-

I've re-aquainted myself with the yellow pages (seems to be better than google, for my quest of 3M tinters). :D
Got myself a decent list of tinters. Only checked out 1 place today and gave me some samples of BC 35%, BS 35% and BS 20%.
BC = Black Chrome film / BS = Black Standard film.

The guys at one place offered me 35% tint at $132 for both front windows or $100 for the 20% stuff (cash in hand, no receipt job).

Tho the 20% stuff will match my privacy glass, I'm in a quandry if I should do the "right" thing by the law or the "right" thing by the car and make it look right. I just don't want to be picked on by the po-po. I can live with a fine, but if I get defected, surely I can drive the car home with the windows down (to mitigate the issue) and worry about getting it legal later. Just don't want the hassle of getting a tow and stuff.

However i think the price is a bit of a rip off for 2 windows, still have more shopping around to do.

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:00 pm

Too dark and sometimes I find it obscures vision at night... 35% is fine by most standard. The black interior of the lancer helps making it look darker than it actually is.
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

bye2u
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bye2u » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:11 pm

VRX_Pete wrote:
exaltd wrote:Sorry mate, can't help :) Can only recommend that you stick with 3M products here :) As I know you already seem to be :)
-EXALTD-

I've re-aquainted myself with the yellow pages (seems to be better than google, for my quest of 3M tinters). :D
Got myself a decent list of tinters. Only checked out 1 place today and gave me some samples of BC 35%, BS 35% and BS 20%.
BC = Black Chrome film / BS = Black Standard film.

The guys at one place offered me 35% tint at $132 for both front windows or $100 for the 20% stuff (cash in hand, no receipt job).

Tho the 20% stuff will match my privacy glass, I'm in a quandry if I should do the "right" thing by the law or the "right" thing by the car and make it look right. I just don't want to be picked on by the po-po. I can live with a fine, but if I get defected, surely I can drive the car home with the windows down (to mitigate the issue) and worry about getting it legal later. Just don't want the hassle of getting a tow and stuff.

However i think the price is a bit of a rip off for 2 windows, still have more shopping around to do.

groundzero tinting quoted me $70 for just the fronts.. a lot of people recommend him just go through ozhonda, jdmstyletuning, evolutionoz and other forums and you will see his rep.. though it might be a bit of a travel for you since his workshop is in blacktown..

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:24 pm

bye2u wrote:groundzero tinting quoted me $70 for just the fronts.. a lot of people recommend him just go through ozhonda, jdmstyletuning, evolutionoz and other forums and you will see his rep.. though it might be a bit of a travel for you since his workshop is in blacktown..
Thanks for that, I'll have a look. Is that price for tints < 35% or just the legal stuff? Do you know what brand of film he uses? I'll have a search thru ozhonda, etc and see if it's mentioned. :)

supra_51
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby supra_51 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:49 pm

Any Sydney-siders willing to help out? I only got a place here in Melbourne.

-EXALTD-

Where in Melbourne? Do they apply the felt to stop the scratching?

Return to “Interior”