Building Boot Storage Solution - Help Needed

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Building Boot Storage Solution - Help Needed

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:56 am

I'm wanting to build a raised floor in my boot, primary reason is for hidden storage but also to raise the floor for a future full size spare. The storage will be used for a small tool kit, first aid kit and emergency water when on day trips or holidays. They idea is to have most things you may normally carry in the boot hided, apart from some shopping bags.

MDF is the material I'm thinking of using, probably 9mm to save weight but also be strong enough. The design will be a honeycomb type structure with small compartments. A main lid in the middle for the spare wheel, then other lids on the side, not decided on how many yet. May also build it to accommodate a Sub and Amp box to be added later.

Has anyone done anything similar?
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:20 am

Just wondering, how high does the floor need to be to clear a full size spare? I've rear it's 3.5" or about 90mm but is that enough.

If someone has the Mitsy supplied raised floor can they please let me know the height I need.

I will also measure my tire width, yes I know they are 225 but just how close that is to the actual width depends on the rim it's fitted too.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:19 am

So first step in making the box is a few measurements so cleaned out the boot, only to find this mess under the tire!
Had the car almost a year and this is the first time I've taken the spare out, yuck!

Now thats better after a vacuum and wash.

So now I have the basic dimensions to work out how much MDF I'll need. Will probably get a start on that in a few weeks with Bathurst coming up next week.

Return to “Interior”