Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

liam92
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Retriming

Postby liam92 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:36 pm

Hey everyone,

I just thought Id ask up here to see if anyone has any info on alittle problem.

I would like to retrim the headliner in black suede but that leaves the pillars, visors, light trims and "O $hit bars" in fugly beige. What would be the best way to either replace or retrim these parts?

Cheers
Liam

liam92
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby liam92 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:40 pm

Cheers Mattings, the headliner Im okay with, Im fairly confident I could get it done properly. Its all the beige plastics that Id like to sort. I was thinking they could be painted by a body shop but that still leaves the sun visors...

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:41 pm

I would still wrap the visors in the suede, as for the pillers, you could either wrap or paint them. I would probably advise you to get something a little liter than the headliner as it will help make the transition to the grey/silver dash pannels.

Oh sh!t handles you would probably have to spray aswell...
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:47 pm

Yes I would paint the plastic parts.

Just make sure they are all prepared properly. Clean first and use a plastic primer.

liam92
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby liam92 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:49 pm

Okay then that would sort out everything bar the visors. I wonder if there are aftermarket ones available (Quality could only get better lets face it!). If not maybe an upholstery shop could sew a cover for them?

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:56 pm

There would have to some company around that make sun visors. I am sure you could order new ones in a different colour or re trim yours.

It all depends how much money you can afford or want to spend.

chris851
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby chris851 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:13 pm

I found this might help in your DIY
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/6g- ... all-2.html

dizzle711
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby dizzle711 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:59 am

hey liam, did you go ahead with this yet?

i did a complete retrim of my old CE lancer to black w/ silver, including headliner, sunvisors, holy sh!t handles etc.. It can be done properly, if you

a) are willing to spend the money on a good plastic primer, a good top coat, and of course, good quality paint

b) know when to use vinyl dye and when to use paint. For the headliner and sunvisors in my CE, I did 4 coats of black vinyl dye, and it lasted my 5 years, with only having to redo where my holy sh!t handles are. Also, the handbreak required alot of work to get the paint to hold.

c) have a large work area, that's also quite clean. If dust falls on wet paint, it looks rubbish, I set up a mini booth, but I'm a lil OCD. The reason for a large work area is you need to be able to store everything while parts are drying. I also recommend hundreds of chinese containers and black marker so you know which bolt comes from where.

d) time - if you aren't willing to go without your car for a few days, then dont bother... you'll only rush it and make it look worse.. It took me 4-5 days to do the whole car, 1/2 day taking out the interior, 1/2 day prep, 1 1/2 day paint, 1 day clear coat and set, 1 day to re install... If you're only doing the head liner then I'm sure it'll be quicker.

I think in total it cost me $400...

I am looking to do my CJ lancer over the easter weekend (as I wont need to drive anywhere) and am more than happy to post a DIY if you're still looking to do it but a bit concerned. I can always upload pics of the CE to show you how it turned out.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:07 am

Just FYI, liam92 no longer owns a CJ and may not be on the forum to reply to you.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

dizzle711
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby dizzle711 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:43 am

oh snap, the downside to being a newbie, making a fool of yourself!... i will most likely go ahead with the DIY anyways, thanks Ofey

bryzabone
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby bryzabone » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:01 am

i'd like to see that DIY, repost/bump if you get it up man :)
For every "Drive Safely" sign, shouldn't there be a "Resume Normal Driving" sign?

Return to “Interior”