***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Sound Deadener

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Sound Deadener

Postby bumblebee » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:22 pm

I love my Lancer even more now i have had Sound Deadener sprayed under my vehicle today. Have driven it round town over roads that were once so noisy to drive over you could hardly hear yourself think. Have taken car out on the highway at 100kmph and the difference is amazing. I love in Queensland and i went googling for a spray on sound deadener and i stumbled across a company in Brisbane called "nilrust" and i emailed them and found my local agent and for under $300 they did my Lancer for me with sound deadener and the results are incredible. I can not speak highly enough about how greater of a difference it has made to the sound reduction in the cabin now whilest in motion.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Re: Sound Deadener

Postby sarusa » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:49 pm

bumblebee wrote:I love my Lancer even more now i have had Sound Deadener sprayed under my vehicle today. Have driven it round town over roads that were once so noisy to drive over you could hardly hear yourself think. Have taken car out on the highway at 100kmph and the difference is amazing. I love in Queensland and i went googling for a spray on sound deadener and i stumbled across a company in Brisbane called "nilrust" and i emailed them and found my local agent and for under $300 they did my Lancer for me with sound deadener and the results are incredible. I can not speak highly enough about how greater of a difference it has made to the sound reduction in the cabin now whilest in motion.

Any db figures available? say at idle and at 50kph, 80kph and100kph?
I'm doing my own sound deadening, still a long way to go, currently getting in cabin figures of 39db at idle and 66db at 100kph :D

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:05 pm

Got some photos of the places they sprayed and how it looks.
I looked them up too, down on the Gold Coast so a couple of hours for me be might be well worth a day out.
How long does it take before you can drive the car?
Sounds like a small price to pay and Mitsubishi should be doing it to their new CF :lol:
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:33 pm

If i had an accurate dB meter i would most definitely have taken a before and after of it with the sound deadening. The db meter apps for mobile phones are inaccurate so i didnt bother with one of those.
However at idle i can't hear the engine running. Just the the thermo fans when they are running and the air con click on and off.

I dropped the car of Friday morning 10.30am they said they were working on anither vehicle and would get to mine in about 30 mins.
They called me back at precisely 1.05pm yesterday arvo and said vehicle was ready.
If you read thru the manufacturer web site of the sound deadening material it says it takes about 30 mins to be touch dry.
When i collected the car i was told the applied material would be fully cured in approx 24 hours.
So i left the premises in my car and went driving to check it out and im blown away.
I can get a few photos in the next day or so if you wish.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:18 pm

I'd need it the same day so would have to be there very early to get it back the same day, might call them to see what they say.

I did have a bad experience with a rust treatment on a previous car, can't remember if it was NilRust. Now I know rust treatment is more involved but long story short they didn't replace part of the air intake and one day following other cars through a small bit of water (not a river/creek) it ingested some, costing $1000s for repairs to my old CC Lancer.

Do you know if they remove some parts to do the sound treatment?

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:18 pm

sarusa wrote:
Any db figures available? say at idle and at 50kph, 80kph and100kph?
I'm doing my own sound deadening, still a long way to go, currently getting in cabin figures of 39db at idle and 66db at 100kph :D

I just installed a dB meter to my phone (galaxy note 4) it says at idle with aircon off cabin is 36db at 60 kmph 68dB 80kmph 70dB. Havent done 100 kmph road yet.
I need to get the doors done with sound deadening. There is a company in Cairns that does it and i need to get in touch with them and see how much to get it done. It sure is a LOT quieter now then what it was. I didnt think to get any reading of it beforehand.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:44 am

Figures look great. 36db at idle, super! Up there with the best, better then most and heaps better then all those in our league!
Presume figures taken while seated in drivers seat!

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:08 pm

Yes mate seated while in drivers seat.
And im not done with sound deadening yet. I have been in touch with a local car audio installer and i will be taking my Lancer to him in about 6 to 8 weeks time and there is sound deadener sheets to be installed to the doors and boot as well as a few other interior goodies.so hopefully i can get it even quieter.its a shame the Lancer never got this treatment fromnthe factory. However.if it did it would add to the price of it. Corners need to be cut somewhere along the line to keep prices competitive i guess.id like a proper dB meter though. Im not a big fan of the ones for mobile phones.i will keep you posted in a few weeks how it all goes with the extra sound deadening installed.
This is the stuff i want fitted to the doors and boot

http://www.carbuilders.com.au/sound-deadener

The guy i spoke to today is an agent for them and can help me out with it so im over the moon.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:16 am

Bought my (db) sound level meter from Jaycar approx $100 Has variety of reading methods, they also have a cheaper one.

What parts exactly have been sound deadened? Presume sprayed! and what else!

Sound deadening boot makes huge difference. Did when I did mine and lid now closes with a thud (gentle) rather then a clang

So far on mine, I have to this point, sprayed sound deadener under floor of car, sound proofed boot and added sound proofing
under bonnet, then replaced original miserable original, in engine bay. Unfortunately position of bonnet hinges prevent rubber seal
from extending all the way across, allowing sound to come through the windscreen. Have attempted to get around this in various ways.
Unfortunately to date haven't found a way yet without interfering with drainage, below windscreen, if caught in a deluge.

Next in line for sound deadening. Are the wheel wells, intend to go all the way, including body and bumper panels, behind and beyond
and as well as, just the covers.

So far figures achieved are idle 38db, 50kph 54db, 80kph db62, 100kph 65db Tyres 215 16 60 Bridgestone Turanza Serenity plus.
readings taken on average country roads and middling sound sections on freeways.

Its taken me awhile to get this far. Hard to get going at 84 years old. Should be done before I'm 85 :D :D

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:29 pm

The whole bottom of my lancer has been sprayed including wheel arches.
When i get the sound deadening sheets fitted i will get the 4 doors and the boot done. I cant see the necessity to get the seats and carpet removed for sound deadening sheets installed on the floor.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:23 pm

Hope they didn't make a mess of things like the exhaust or suspension, or would it have been masked?

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:13 pm

To be honest i havent had time to have a decent look under the car.
The guys who did it have a ramp system they drive the car onto and they stand under the csr and spray up onto the car. If they did do the exhaust and i doubt they did there is no horried smells from the exhaust buring the spray. I have had a quick look at the wheel arches and they have most definitely been done. I have been run off my feet. hopefully tomorrow arvo i will get a chance to have a decent look and grab some photos to share with you

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:24 am

bumblebee wrote:To be honest i havent had time to have a decent look under the car.
The guys who did it have a ramp system they drive the car onto and they stand under the csr and spray up onto the car. If they did do the exhaust and i doubt they did there is no horried smells from the exhaust buring the spray. I have had a quick look at the wheel arches and they have most definitely been done. I have been run off my feet. hopefully tomorrow arvo i will get a chance to have a decent look and grab some photos to share with you

Did my own.its not hard to avoid items that should not be sprayed, a bit of masking for the more sensitive areas,also parts that may in the future need to be removed or replaced. Say for example attachment studs and bolts, ie those attaching the wheel arch panels for example.
Hope they got everything nice and clean before they sprayed. Cleanliness, absolutely essential. Part of area between front and rear wheels on either side has already been sound deadened.

Re cabin interior floor. Deadener already done, will, as you stated elsewhere, remove the need of doing the interior.
Well to a degree, if your happy then that's fine but interior is poorly padded and in places non existent, so some padding, especially firewall.
Well that section that can be reached without removing the dash, will add to that plush Finnish and feeling. Don't forget under rear seat.

Unfortunately a better quality carpet isn't available for our cars!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:16 pm

Easiest way to avoid the exhaust is put something over it (once cool) so any excess spray is masked, ditto for anything else. May be the reason they take so long. As with any spray job 90% or more of the time is cleaning and masking things.

I'm considering doing this but it would be good if there was a place on the Sunshine coast as we can't just drive down there and leave it over night.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:33 am

lol Book it in, drive down there, the day before, spend the night in a motel and have it all done the next day!!!

Return to “Exterior”