***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Tail Light Tinting

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

shannon64
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Tail Light Tinting

Postby shannon64 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:21 pm

Would anyone know if it is possible to tint the tail lights on a o8 vrx instead of painting etc..

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:28 pm

You can get tint, similar to Window Tint film. Or a spray can of "Nightshades" however both are illegal.

Up to you though

shannon64
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby shannon64 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:36 pm

SIR-VRX wrote:You can get tint, similar to Window Tint film. Or a spray can of "Nightshades" however both are illegal.

Up to you though
thanks for that..didnt relise it would be illegal...what would a set of ra tail lights set me back..just curiuos thanks..

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:45 pm

There are a few guys trying to move them up there, I am sure Adrian will let them know....

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:48 pm

SIR-VRX wrote:You can get tint, similar to Window Tint film. Or a spray can of "Nightshades" however both are illegal.

Up to you though

im sure there is some actual law on that adrian, someone needs to read the ADR's on taillights and how much light your brakes have to shine out. then you will get your answer on how illegal tinting your tails are.

PLUS its only illegal if you get caught lol.

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:04 am

I'm selling some tinting if you want it :) It's my mate's.... and he never used it :)

heysup
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby heysup » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:30 am

Actual tint wont stick to the middle brake light, doesn't quite like the being bent over the sides which means it wont sit flush with the brake light and also the cover also has writing embossed on it which screws with how the tint sits - plus I don't think it's really meant for plastic as it didn't seem to stick as well as it does to glass (could maybe try some translucent vinyl, if such a product exists). This was my experience with trying it anyway. Better off going down the nightshade road and picking up a light cover from the wreckers incase you do get pinged for it.

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:57 am

i doube you will get pinged for it you only do if you do it to much. like making your whole taillights black. iv seen it on a few cars doesnt look good have black tailights, just looks like big black taillight shaped things on the back of your car. if you do it lightly then it looks good, but to much and its looks like crap.

and i belive that what you tint your plastic lights with is diffrent to actual window tint. pretty much it is a translucent vinyl, and it does exist as there is a completly clear vinyl as well. used for carbras that dont want to be seen.
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

billyboy
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby billyboy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:54 pm

heysup wrote:Actual tint wont stick to the middle brake light, doesn't quite like the being bent over the sides which means it wont sit flush with the brake light and also the cover also has writing embossed on it which screws with how the tint sits - plus I don't think it's really meant for plastic as it didn't seem to stick as well as it does to glass (could maybe try some translucent vinyl, if such a product exists). This was my experience with trying it anyway. Better off going down the nightshade road and picking up a light cover from the wreckers incase you do get pinged for it.

Product does exist, I did my 3rd brake light no probs.

Still selling my excess (shameless plug :P) http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=3339

You can heat vinyl up with hairdryer to stretch around curves & poke with pin to get rid of any air bubbles.

arutha
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby arutha » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:20 pm

heysup wrote:Actual tint wont stick to the middle brake light, doesn't quite like the being bent over the sides which means it wont sit flush with the brake light and also the cover also has writing embossed on it which screws with how the tint sits - plus I don't think it's really meant for plastic as it didn't seem to stick as well as it does to glass (could maybe try some translucent vinyl, if such a product exists). This was my experience with trying it anyway. Better off going down the nightshade road and picking up a light cover from the wreckers incase you do get pinged for it.

um WTH? i used tint to do my third brake light and it worked fine. i also used film to tint my stock lights. pretty sure there is a pic of the car in my garage with the lights tinted so you can get an idea of what it looks like
Born at JustJDM's 'ninjaworks' facility,
Honed into a weapon by Mercury Motorsport

t0omas
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby t0omas » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:16 pm

Did you remove your third brake light when u tinted it?
I removed it and tinted it easily.
Then i removed it again because i used night shade lol

arutha
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby arutha » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:06 pm

nope i did it on the car and everything turned out dandy lol
Born at JustJDM's 'ninjaworks' facility,

Honed into a weapon by Mercury Motorsport

Return to “Lighting”