***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Headlight Legality

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

PopN
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Headlight Legality

Postby PopN » Fri May 28, 2010 12:44 am

Gday i was just wondering about the legality concerning headlights, i havent done much to my car so thought i would start with something simple but wanted to double check to make sure i dont get pulled over for somethin :P

What i was wondering was with headlights/parkers is there any legal issues with replacing them with the slightly tinted blue globes you can buy?

I recall something about only white light can be emitted at the front of your car or something (could be mistaken) but dose the slight blue tinge count? :P

Cheers guys :D

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Fri May 28, 2010 1:07 am

If they're more white than blue its alright... If they are actually blue that's a nono.

I have Narva 'arctic blue's and they're just white. Lol.

scraverX
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby scraverX » Fri May 28, 2010 1:22 am

Have a look at your lights in the right light at the right angle. The Arctic Blue's are very slightly blue. I know, I have them in mine.

They are ADR tagged though so all good. :)

The light they emit is predominantly white I've had them almost as long as I've had the car and haven't been pulled up for them.
"Max" 2009 MY10 RX, Black. CCJ Lifetime Premium Member #0125
Car & Home audio nut.
Car audio brands used: Audison, Eclipse, Hybrid Audio Technology, Precision Power, Polk Audio, Pioneer PRS
Home Audio: Denon, Epos, Pro`ject, AKG

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Sun May 30, 2010 6:07 pm

I've been doing a bit of research into these 'white halogens'.. (which are really just normal yellow halogen lights shining through a blue/purple tinted glass to give 'white light'.

http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse ... nce-globes

if you look at the graphs, you can see the bluer the lighter (or whiter) the less LUMEN (light) output, simply because the bulb is tinted blue, so it loses the light output.

However, to keep the bulb within legal light output, and to make the white lights have a good light output as well, they increase the power to the bulbs so whilst they are whiter, they are also more powerful (more lumens) which is good. But this super effects the life of the bulbs - they don't last as long as they should. Some cases it reduces the life by 4-5x.

So there are a couple of brands you can buy which have been recommended across the forums everywhere:

Philips Crystal Vision (~4300k) - can be had for $45-65. The most recommended on all the forums I've read. One of the better performing ones (also gives more light).

Narva Arctic Blue (~4000k) - can be bought at places like Repco. I think the HB4/3 fitment is around $30-40 correct me if I am wrong. (I don't think this improves light output).

PIAA Super Whites (~4300k) - highly recommended here on CCJ. Made in Japan. Gives more light output. Very expensive though - around $100+.

Most also come with parker bulbs to match the white halogens. The parkers though are tinted blue as well to give the white output.
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Sun May 30, 2010 6:09 pm

That said, I have the X-treme power lights so they are not white, but yellow halogen colour. Basically just more power halogens without the blue tinting hence why it can give much more lumen output.

funnyfi
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby funnyfi » Sun May 30, 2010 6:45 pm

"Philips Crystal Vision (~4300k) - can be had for $45-65. The most recommended on all the forums I've read. One of the better performing ones (also gives more light)."

I was wondering where you got this price from? Internet or actual shop in Aus?

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Sun May 30, 2010 6:52 pm

Tarquin
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Tarquin » Sun May 30, 2010 9:02 pm

Hey PopN,

The Main lighting Thread is one on the best reads for alot of this info...

The 1st post has a link to one of the best articles I've read on car headlights and what looks good, performs best and what 'colour' you should use and how HID's can be bad m'kay...

I for one, have the PIAA 4300K bulbs which give off an excellent white light and nearly no blue tinge... I've tried some 5500K bulbs but as soon as you start going over 5000K they start to look more blue and will have less output....
Output and perceived light from the 4500K is very clear and almost seems to throw further to signs and such that reflect down the road at night....

Any of the philips one being suggested are equally as good.

I know you didn't mention HIDs, but I will. There are many on this forum (me for one) who have a great passion with the legalities of using HIDs in light housings not designed for them - so please check what you want to do and the legalities of it before you decide to try them as headlights.... Personal choice, of course.. :)

The Lancer Bulb List is the place to check about all lights side lights and other bulbs that you need around your CJ - Most are wedge style or festoons and really simple to switch out....
Many here run LED parker lights and rear licence lights, as well and coloured interior LEDs and SMD's
<<See Avatar... when my Angel eyes worked.. :(
Last edited by Tarquin on Mon May 31, 2010 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
- CCJ Premium Member #0015.
Tarq's Paintshop

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Sun May 30, 2010 9:07 pm

Apparently the Crystal Visions and Diamond Visions are illegal for use in Australia but the BlueVisions are legal? :S

smithsy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby smithsy » Sun May 30, 2010 11:03 pm

funnyfi wrote:"Philips Crystal Vision (~4300k) - can be had for $45-65. The most recommended on all the forums I've read. One of the better performing ones (also gives more light)."

No it doesn't give any more light, the whiter you go generally the less light output you get.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sun May 30, 2010 11:58 pm

I stand by the Crystal Vision bulbs though. I had them on my Civic FD and they worked great. Not sure if this promo is still around but back in 07, Phillips used to include the parkers for free too when buying from Autobahn (IIRC around $90?).

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

bryzabone
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby bryzabone » Mon May 31, 2010 2:19 am

Philips 80% brighter bulbs are best imho. cheap, very legal, and very good light output. ~79$ from autobarn
For every "Drive Safely" sign, shouldn't there be a "Resume Normal Driving" sign?

bryzabone
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby bryzabone » Mon May 31, 2010 2:20 am

Philips 80% brighter bulbs are best imho. cheap, very legal, and very good light output. ~79$ from autobarn
For every "Drive Safely" sign, shouldn't there be a "Resume Normal Driving" sign?

PopN
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby PopN » Mon May 31, 2010 2:21 pm

thanks guys, yea went down to autobarn to check some out. Didnt catch a brand name was in bit of a rush but yea they came with parkers (price was ranging from 75-85$)

thanks for the info

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Mon May 31, 2010 3:22 pm

smithsy wrote:
funnyfi wrote:"Philips Crystal Vision (~4300k) - can be had for $45-65. The most recommended on all the forums I've read. One of the better performing ones (also gives more light)."

No it doesn't give any more light, the whiter you go generally the less light output you get.

Yup. But to compensate for this it is actually brighter, but because of the blue tint the amount of lumens goes back down to normal levels.

There are conflicting reports about the Crystal visions actually giving more light. Some people say its gives more light (whether or not it is a placebo effect from the white light I don't know) but most agree that in towns, it lights up signs very well. However, on country roads where distance is better than white aesthetics, they fall below many other bulbs.

Return to “Lighting”