***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Comparison of Aftermarket Headlights!

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Comparison of Aftermarket Headlights!

Postby milobob » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:14 pm

Hey all,

I've been reading up a lot on these aftermarket Halogens that we can buy but was disgruntled with the lack of a comparison between all the various ones you can buy. Most people tend to compare them with the stock headlights.

Anyway, I'll start this thread with my own comparison between two aftermarket halogens (that I have bought and used):

--------------------------------

1) Philips X-Treme Power +80% Halogens - $65

Marketed as: Up to 80% more light, 25m further beam, 30% whiter, ADR approved.

My findings: Probably more like 30-40% more light compared to stock. Definitely throws further down the road, slightly whiter when looking at the headlights itself.

The bulb itself has a blue tint just at the tip, which I suspect is what gives the light its slightly whiter appearance. Just a fraction (almost unnoticeable) whiter on the road.

City driving - not much different to stock or even the blue visions though you can see the beam cut-off much more easily with the X-treme powers (much like as if we have projector housings). In darker not-so-well-lighted up areas, you can really see how much more light these bulbs give out compared to STOCK and BLUEVISIONS. Things further down the road are much brighter and the spread also seems to be slightly wider.

The problem with having such a bright bulb is the lifespan of the bulb. X-treme powers, though they seem to provide one of the best amount of light output for halogen bulbs, do not last long at all.

My 2c: If you are looking for a LEGAL, brighter headlight replacements and don't care about the colour, this is for you.

--------------------------------

2) Philips BlueVision 4000k - $50

Marketed as: Whiter (4000k), brighter and ADR approved.

My Findings: Definitely whiter, a more ricey look - when looking at the headlights themselves. Doesn't seem any brighter at all in city areas compared to stock. Can't really see the beam cut-off in well lighted areas.

On the road, the light output is whiter, though to me it doesn't really make much of a difference in terms of perceiving or being able to see object more clearly. The X-treme powers in this regard are much better.

In not-so-well-lighted areas, the bluevisions give whiter light but the distance and power of the light itself is not much different to stock. Whiter probably gives a better perception of colour but that is about it (IMO).

The problem with blue-tinted (white output) halogens is the lifespan as well. The blue (or purple) coating changes the normal yellow output to white in colour, but in the process it decreases the amount of lumens (brightness). In order to compensate for the lack of brightness, manufacturers tweak the bulb to give more lumens, bringing the power back to normal standards whilst also providing white light. The whiter/bluer your light, the shorter the lifespan and the less lumens (power) you have.

My 2c: No real benefit other than looking nice :) Did I mention it matches my white car well? :P

---------------------------------

BlueVision vs. Xtreme Power FINAL SAY:
However, this said and done, you spend most of your driving in the city. Do you really need brighter or whiter globes? Personally it doesn't matter to me, brighter is always better but there isn't much difference in the city anyway. Might as well go with the whiter globes. If you are driving out in not so well lighted up areas - you'd use your highbeams for better vision anyway - wouldn't you? At that point, might be more worthwhile to change your highbeams to X-treme powers or similar instead if you are worried that the stocks aren't sufficient.

----------------------------------

Feel free to add your own reviews!
Last edited by milobob on Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:38 am

if you are really after better visual so you can see better then stick with more stock yellowy colour bulbs, our eyes have more red receptors, then blue.(how they get them white(blue phosper on a yellow light))

so if you really want to see better get yellower/oranger lights.

And the light tweeks you speak off. would just be they use a thinner tungsten filament, shortening the lifespan.

wasita
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby wasita » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:21 am

How much you reckon for the price ? any comparison for the price ?

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:56 am

Narva Arctic Blues (4000K)

They are whiter. Maybe a notch in the yellow direction still.
Same brightness.

And what Blake said. The closer to sunlight colour the better.
That why many racing cars have essentially pure yellow headlights and foglights.
Whiter isn't better, its just more attractive.

ijustatecurry
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby ijustatecurry » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:14 am

Thanks for the review mate. I've been thinking about the Phillips for a while now as i'd really appreciate the extra output without blinding other drivers!
All bleeding stops eventually!

jerryme
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby jerryme » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:48 am

I purchased euro optibright xenon H.O.D bulbs on 20th January. One of them blew last night. I paid $98 from autobarn. Lasted just under 2 months. Pretty disappointed

Glenjimen
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Glenjimen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:27 am

jerryme wrote:I purchased euro optibright xenon H.O.D bulbs on 20th January. One of them blew last night. I paid $98 from autobarn. Lasted just under 2 months. Pretty disappointed

you take them back? - statutory warranty and all

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:55 pm

jerryme wrote:I purchased euro optibright xenon H.O.D bulbs on 20th January. One of them blew last night. I paid $98 from autobarn. Lasted just under 2 months. Pretty disappointed

Hmm I had a similar issue, brought narva artic blues, with in two months both low beam blew highs are fine and the stock low beams have been in over 12months.

jerryme
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby jerryme » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:03 pm

Chubb wrote:

Hmm I had a similar issue, brought narva artic blues, with in two months both low beam blew highs are fine and the stock low beams have been in over 12months.

I was told that companies don't offer warranty on bulbs.. pretty slack.

@chub
It's pretty disappointing the quality. Someone else also had aftermarket lights and lasted 2 weeks.

jerryme
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby jerryme » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:57 pm

So I went to autobarn today. They couldn't replace my euro vision bulbs.. But they gave me a great deal on a set of cheapies. Usually $40, reduced to $10. Have dealt with Autobarn Macgregor before and this just shows their great customer service. +1

Return to “Lighting”