***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

what brand of HID shall i get?

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:43 pm

Sir-VRX... tut, tut... there was no implication of your personal guilt !

You do take stuff to heart hey!!!

Well, now I am heard before I am seen... isn't that illegal too !! damn!

Tarquin
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Tarquin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:10 pm

tryg wrote:Why don't people complain about people running around with FOG lights on during the day then... because technically that is illegal too..!?

Not illegal in Queensland..... not yet anyhow.... The law is being implemented mid next year - I saw a report in my local rag about it.

I'll confess to being one of those so called 'wankers' Adrian.... but when I do run with them on, I only have my side/parkers on (with my angel eyes). The Fog lights really make the front look nice, I think - see forum avavtar.... :) As soon as my headlights are needed, I swap and turn them off.

Oh... and for CCJ cruises....
- CCJ Premium Member #0015.
Tarq's Paintshop

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:19 pm

You didn't have them on the other day when I saw you at Morayfield :lol:

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:27 pm

Tarquin, I think you will find that Police already pull people over for that, it is in fact infractionable.

I have a few mates in my bike club who are police officers and it is a targetted offence they like to pull people (read=young guys in utes and boy-racers) over for.....

It is also in NSW and Victoria (Unfortunately I know this from experience!)

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:32 pm

Hey, I like your Angel Eyes.. they're better than bog-stock looking DRLs anyways!!!

If I had them, I wouldn't drive with fogs on at all !!!!

Noice !!!

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:32 pm

It is actually national law, but only now are the states bringing it in as well. Saves on paperwork apparently.

I'm no cop so don't take my word for it.

BUT I have seen just as many Coppers driving the Aurions, SV6s, XR6s etc with the fog lights on as the regular drivers... I feel like pulling them over and booking them for it :lol:

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:33 pm

Haha, lets put flashing red/blues in your VRX !!!
Now that would be a hot law-enforcement vehicle !!!

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:02 am

I see a lot of people driving around with their fog lights or "wanker lights :lol: " on, especially the xr*'s or commodores. not that it bothers me that much though.

I drove around with mine on for 2 weeks when one of my headlights got smashed by hitting a kangaroo (and I replaced the other HID with OEM bulb), I could hardly see anything infront of me, after having a few close calls I decided to put them on at night for that reason.
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

Superfly
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Superfly » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:01 pm

What about Xenon bulbs purchased from Supercheap and Repco and so on? Do these have the same problems? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have no idea about this sort of thing. Don't wanna put something in my car that's gonna cause accidents!
Where are my keys?!

cao
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby cao » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:16 pm

thanks very much for the information, and i will consider all the aspects.
Leo~~~

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:30 pm

Superfly wrote:What about Xenon bulbs purchased from Supercheap and Repco and so on? Do these have the same problems? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have no idea about this sort of thing. Don't wanna put something in my car that's gonna cause accidents!

That type of globe isn't a Gas Discharge type, they are just regular halogen globes with a Xenon-mix gas instead of the regul;ar gas they use.

They are legal, provided they are E-marked or equivalent. Most are, but read the packaging for wording like "ADR Approved" or "Street Legal" and you'll be right.

phillips CrystalVision and Narva Arctic Blue are some examples of road legal, whiter light.

ANDROS
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ANDROS » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:47 pm

SIR-VRX wrote:

phillips CrystalVision and Narva Arctic Blue are some examples of road legal, whiter light.

CrystalVision's aren't road legal in Australia actually...

http://www.philipslighting.com.au/bulbs.html

Tarquin
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Tarquin » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:49 pm

SIR-VRX wrote:You didn't have them on the other day when I saw you at Morayfield :lol:

No.... I currently have a bulb 'blown' - so I think it looks lame when there is only half a wanker option to be seen with.....
Serves me right for getting some cheap bulbs from an American site. They have changed their supplier from the ones I bought previously, and these where just crapola....

-------------------------------------------------

@ ANDROS - Interesting find... I would have said they were legal bulbs. I think the big point to note however is the colour temp. - Being at only 4300k, highly unlikely you will get pulled up for them....

Might have to re-think my replacements having trawlled thru this....

Found this - ADR 51 Documentation

A boring read, to be sure... There is only one reference to a colour temperature output....

3.6. Colour
3.6.1. The bulb of the filament lamp shall be colourless, 5/ unless otherwise prescribed on the relevant data sheet
Where... 5/ A bulb is considered to be colourless if it does not appreciably alter the trichromatic coordinates of a luminous source having a colour temperature of 2,856K

- Which pretty much rules out any installed headlight bulb, in any car imo

It mentions 'white' light many times, and denotes this to be the correct ourput, but realsitically, anything below 3500K is more towards cream/yellow than white will ever be.... so who knows

"The colour of the light emitted by the filament lamp shall be white unless otherwise specified on the relevant data sheet."

Two lines are repeated several times over thru the document...

- "The bulb shall be colourless or yellow." - So does that mean we can go all 'Continental' have have yellow headlights, like in France??

- "The colour should be so homogeneous that at visual inspection no essential differences are perceptible." - This last one is what a copper might have a go at... They'll look into the headlight and see a 'blue' bulb - Even though it is just a colour correction filter being applied to make the cream/yellow light output more towards the 'white' part of the spectrum....

And the debate drags on... lol
- CCJ Premium Member #0015.

Tarq's Paintshop

Superfly
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Superfly » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:05 pm

All good info guys, thanks. Clears a few things up.
Where are my keys?!

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:17 pm

ANDROS wrote:
SIR-VRX wrote:

CrystalVision's aren't road legal in Australia actually...

http://www.philipslighting.com.au/bulbs.html

Well some of the Phillips range is I know, and I was sure the Crystals were a while ago. My mistake. I don't have them myself I have the Narva Arctic Blues.

Return to “Lighting”