***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

2014 Lancer going smaller - Evo might be hybrid

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

2014 Lancer going smaller - Evo might be hybrid

Postby The X » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:57 pm

"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

BlackBetty
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby BlackBetty » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:08 pm

Yep would absolutely would have great faith in an Evo Hybrid, having driven the Camry Hybrid since April and experiencing the instant take up of the Electric Motor combined with the Petrol engine all working together to deliver an unreal acceleration experience, too hard to Describe and must be personally witnessed, but yeah would go for one no probs
Mr H.......So Cool

Momengah
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Momengah » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:17 pm

I think it would depend on many factors for me personally. Definitely need to test drive it thats for sure. However I have concerns on battery life. It makes me wonder if i happen to own a hybrid car for a long time, how much would replacing batteries cost... i mean it's bound to happen...

Other concerns i have is that you need to bring the car back to mitsubishi as there probably wont be any other mechanics that know what to do with the hybrid car. One other one would be what type of aftermarket gear can we get for the car. I don't think there would be much out there... and it might be a lot more complicated too
-Beeble spec custom tune (182kw 383nm)
-Cosworth Air Filter
-Evo X BOV
-Evo X Intercooler
-Grimmspeed 3 port
-Ultimate Racing UPICP & LICP
-HFC & Ultimate Racing catback

Tweak
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Tweak » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:32 pm

the evo is dead if it goes hybrid. To be honest the Evo x Only scraped into the EVO group by the smallest of margins
EVO= Performance and not "Save the Whales hug a tree" when i get into a evo the last thing on my mind is how many trees will die in my travel to work.
If i wanted to save the earth id buy a pirus anyway

RyanMK
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby RyanMK » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:38 pm

Tweak wrote:the evo is dead if it goes hybrid. To be honest the Evo x Only scraped into the EVO group by the smallest of margins EVO= Performance and not Save the Whales hug a tree when i get into a evo the last thing on my mind is how many trees will die in my travel to work. If i wanted to save the earth id buy a pirus anyway

I couldn't care less about saving trees, to be frank. While I agree the Evo screams performance, who's to say that in the near future electric motor/engines would not rival if not outperform the traditional petrol engines in terms of performance? Technology is constantly improving.
VG/Ultra Racing/Whiteline/Work/Ralliart/Supercircuit/Cosworth/Pioneer/BC/Recaro

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:50 pm

I would not buy the electric\hybrid evo as it would be the first electric performance car on the market buy Mitsubishi.
Considering that they have dropped the 10 year warranty.... on a new emerging technology maybe not a good move.
like most technical advancements they are often suffer from 1st generation problems or design flaws. which have not had the same amount of testing as regular gasoline engines.

Lets look at first generation flappy paddle gearboxes as an example (NOT referring to our twin clutch) they were woeful. problems staying in gears, huge delays while shifting. impossible to service, requiring the equivalent of liquid gold oil etc etc.
Some of these things are still prevalent today but it is getting better.

That being said.
every time they have released the next generation Evo they have always made the car in my opinion better than before and exceeding everyone's expectations.
I remember driving my friends IX thinking that there is no way they could make it better. And i was blown away with the X.

But a making the XI a hybrid\electric and ensuring that it is overall BETTER than the X? now that is a challenge i eagerly await to see the results.

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:10 pm

It would be interesting to see a smaller Lancer with similar interior volume. The current Mazda3 didn't grow compared to its predecessor, but rear legroom suffered in the process, which is a fatal flaw that saw me drive what I'm driving right now. I just hope the new shape won't be as plain as the new Colt and Outlander. The Evo is already priced too high as it is, so making it a hybrid or electric might even drive it further up.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

Kal777
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Kal777 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:26 pm

a fully electric car focused on performance would far exceed that of a combustion engine. the amount of power and acceleration a brushless motor can achieve puts a combustion engine to shame.

there is currently a performance focused electric car on the market, but the current issues is the power supplies do not hold enough charge to perform long distances between charging.

http://www.teslamotors.com/roadster/specs

that produces 300 HP and just short of 300 pounds of torque. thats impressive numbers from a electric motor and a battery.
Injen Cold Air Intake/K&N Invert Pod/BC BR Coilovers/Whiteline Strut Brace/DrIft Blade seats/Penrite HPR5/Penrite ProGear/PBR Gold Dot

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:27 pm

Mitsubishi had a lot of tec-guys at PPIHC this year and they seemed to be taking it seriously.

However, as a keen observer there it was difficult to take their cars seriously, neither of them seemed to be right for the event.
Both cars in the same class, but in effect aiming for both ends of the competition.

The i-MiEV Evolution (the fast entry) had a big rear wing but the car body seemed to be very simple with minimal (obvious) development work and I suspect may have been a bastard to steer - it crashed at Engineers Corner on the first practice run and did not re-appear until race day.

So, maybe the whole effort was prep work and experience for next year.

But, man-o-man you should have seen the size of the generator set and truck they had to use to get some charge into the batteries, enormous!

Mr Charisma
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Mr Charisma » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:35 pm

I wouldn't write it off till I drove it - not that I could afford it haha!
Love that car!

Nick07
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Nick07 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:39 pm

It's good to see them going green. We need to become more sustainable, a step in the right direction.

In terms of whether it will have flaws or not, you have to start somewhere!

ijustatecurry
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby ijustatecurry » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:04 pm

Electric engines produce such ridiculous torque! No curve either, just constant goodness :)
All bleeding stops eventually!

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:26 pm

You guys realise CO2 is good for trees right? :roll:

Idc if mitsubishi make a hybrid performance car, I'm just a little iffy on calling it an evo unless it ends up having comparable performance.
I don't like companies putting an established name on a barely related car...

Also this is at least the third thread I've seen about a hybrid evo... :?

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:59 pm

hybrid cars dont reduce CO2 emmisions, they just transfer them back to electrical generators, mostly coal fired.
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:09 pm

True although those generators are much more efficient than millions of little engines...
Hybrids also generally don't get charged via a powerpoint anyway though...

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”