***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

120708 :: Merlin-tuned Skelta -> Pikes Peak Int'l Hill Cl

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

120708 :: Merlin-tuned Skelta -> Pikes Peak Int'l Hill Cl

Postby ofey » Sat May 19, 2012 8:55 am

So most of you know of (or at least heard of) our resident tuner extrodinaire Merlin.

Well he has been involved in the tuning of a car partaking in this year's Pikes Peak International Hill Climb (Wiki):

Here's the car he has been tuning will be competing in the Pikes Peak Open Category:

Race Number: 14
Driver : Jeff Denmeade <-click link to driver's personal blog
Hometown : Jannali , Australia !!
Year: 2009
Make: Skelta
Model: G-Force
In its proud Australian livery!
ImageImage

caradvice.com.au wrote:Behind the wheel of the Skelta this year will be Australian driver Jeff Denmeade, who won his class at Pikes Peak in 2010, and the first Aussie ever to do so.

The Skelta G-Force uses a steel spaceframe reinforced with carbonfibre/aluminium honeycomb sandwich with a chassis weight of just 80 kilograms. The total weight of the car is 700kg with a 50/50 weight distribution.

The Skelta is powered by a Honda F20C 2.0-litre supercharged engine producing 200kW of power at 8500rpm and mated to a six-speed close-ratio Honda transmission.

If you want to experience Jeff driving mountain climbs:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-swbL4keTKA#![/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0I4i9g_Ex0[/youtube]
and
Jeff in a Evo V made by Ralliart Australia!! You have to watch this!! Some great BOV psssssst sounds throughout!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syNMvg5RohY[/youtube]

More reading:
caradvice.com.au
redbook.com.au
Performance Drive

Also at this race, Mitsubishi have sent their own competitor!!
An i-Miev Evo will be taking part in the 4700 foot ascent.
Though they will be partaking in the Electric vehicle category (won by a Nissan Leaf last year):

Driver: Hiroshi Mauoka
Hometown: Iruma, Japan
Year: 2012
Make: Mitsubishi Motors
Model: i-Miev Evolution
Race Number: 32

reviews.cnet.com wrote:Along with a completely new, carbon fiber body, the i-Miev Evo gets three 80 kilowatt electric motors, one for the front wheels and two at the rears. These motors get juice from a 35 kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack.

For some strange reason, they've also entered a bog standard i-Miev with some safety package and loads of decals:

Driver: Becky Gordon
Hometown: Dana Point, CA
Year: 2012
Make: Mitsubishi Motors
Model: i-Miev
Race Number: 34

reviews.cnet.com wrote:The stock i-Miev, one of which will also run the course, uses a single 49 kilowatt motor on the rear wheels, powered by a 16 kilowatt-hour battery pack.

Perhaps these are the first trials of Electric vehicle racing and will form the basis of the next Electric/Diesel Evolution XI we've been hearing about.

For more reading, click here.

Well Merlin will be travelling up to the US for a holiday and this race.

I'm sure the club's best wishes travel with him, Jeff and the Australian built Skelta!!
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:02 am

Just an update for those not on Facebook. Here are some pics of our resident tuner extrodinaire Merlin @ Pikes Peak working on the Skelta.

ImageImage

Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:45 am

Hi Lancer CJ fans,

Well what can I say, the 2012 Pikes Peak International Hillclimb, has been postponed.
We beleive this was instagated by the forestry service, as there are currently insufficant service personell to suppurt and manage the event eg Police, Ambulance and Forrestry, due to the massive wild-fires burning in and arround Colorado Springs in the adjoining mountains and valleys.

The Pikes Peak area has not burned and is not currently threatened.

A new date has not been set set, but three possible dates are being considered, with a probable announcement this comimg Tuesday in Colorado Springs.

Meanwhile, our team are in Idaho Springs, on the I70, west of Denver in the mountains at about 7000 feet.
We received notification of the event postponement Wednesday night the day before yesterday, but decided to continue altitude testing on the Skelta, getting the tuning adjusted and working on tyre pressure increase with altitude change.

Hpoefully the event will take place sometime this summer, though there are only about 8 weeks left before serious snow can be expected.

The Skelta will be moved to a storage park in Colorado Springs Raceway tomorrow (Saturday) until the event is run. Jeff and Cath will then return the hired truck to LA and await a decision on the event.

Unfortunately I will miss the event and practice etc, no $ left for another trip anytime soon - bummer bummer bummer!

The Skelta is running ok at altitude, we have confirmed correct fueling to 11300 feet on one road and a bit higher on Mt Evans, which tops out at 14400 feet, paved road all the way though we stopped short due to severe frost heaving of the road surface near the top.
This frost heaving leaves the road very rough and undulating, not good for the Skelta with its long low front splitter.
Also, it started with the rain/snow/wind and the Skelta has no side windows so we called it a day and retired to the pub to try and make some meaningfull plans with the help of nine large margaritas.

Meanwhile, Jeff reports that the international teams are still rolling into Colorado Springs, expecting an event sometime, he did see the huge Mitsubishi truck thingy plus Rhys Millen and some others.

Cheers for now,

Dave
Last edited by merlin on Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

bunnishiwa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bunnishiwa » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:43 am

Looks like awesome fun Dave - a real shame you're likely to miss the event though.
- Self tuned - work in progress - tune revision #16_03
- GS 3 port controlled wooooot :)
- Lowered on Kings
- Black Evo X FMIC/ Evo IX BOV/ Depo HFC/ UR UICP
- Awesome self installed Alpine/JL Audio sound system
- Whiteline Rear Swaybar

Noli Timere Messorem

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:52 am

A note on the pix ofey posted, they were taken at the top of the Berthoud Pass at 11300 feet on hwy 40 heading north to Winter Park.

This I have to tell you is one of the must-do drives, but to be fair this area has lots of interesting roads to explore.

Thats Jeffs co-driver Cath Hammond in the red top, wify Jane in the backgroung with the video camera.

We were mobbed by a group of people soon after, wanting pictures, the story and can the kids sit in the car etc - all good fun.
We even had a guy in a Mustang follow us down from Mt Evens just so he could have a chat and get some shots.

Its funny driving behind the Skelta when in town, watching all the heads swivel and kids pointing and getting excited as the car rolls slowly by.

We also spotted some Audi and Range Rover protos testing on Mt Evans the other day - a good place to get high!
Last edited by merlin on Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:57 am

Merlin, Why is Pikes Peak cancelled/postponed?
Or why the change in schedule?

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:59 am

The event has been postponed due to huge wild-fires in the Colorado Springs area. I ammended the previous post re the fires.

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:38 pm

Media release just updated....

90th Pikes Peak International Hill Climb Set To Go On Sunday, August 12, After Postponement Connected To Waldo Canyon Fire

source: http://www.usacracing.com/ppihc/news_ppihc/5463.html
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi Guys and Gals - some news on PPIHC.

I will be going after all and will be flying out on Monday 6th August.
What can you do when your wife wants you to go and buys the ticket except start packing and wonder how you will ever get enough brownie points to compensate.

So, hopefully I will get some terrific pix/video and have a great week in Colorado. Some success would be nice, but wee will see what eventuates.

I should be back Wednesday 15th August for those patient souls waiting for a tune.

Cheers,
Dave

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:31 pm

Man can never amass enough Brownie Points to compensate a Woman Will ... :!:

As per our phone *cell* ..... Enjoy Dave.

Sam ..... *thumb*
Merlinised MIVEC - AspiRe 2.4L
Merlin Inspired Variable Engine Control
Sam ..... *thumb*

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:35 pm

Good luck Dave, I swear one day I will drive to the summit unfortunately for me I doubt the hire car would do it in a sub 15 minute time :P

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:22 pm

Pikes Peak Hillclimb update:

Tuesday - Registration and Tech Inspection
We got to the track early and got registration over before the crowds arrived, no problems.

Then Tech Inspection, it was nearly midday before our turn but we sailed through with no issues to correct - sweet.

We then proceeded into town (the SKELTA ran out of fuel on the way) and found the 24 hour swipe card access VP100 bowser and filled a pretty blue fuel churn with the new race fuel. Back to the Crown Plaza and put the trick race fuel in the SKELTA, ready for the first practice session and qualifying the next morning.

Wednesday, Practice on lower section and qualifying.
Get up at 2am and in the car to the mountain at 3am.
The SKELTA cranks and starts ok (it still has normal pump in the lines etc) but idles funny and is very cranky as we proceed - WTF is with this new fuel.

We thought the VP100 would be more or less the same as pump, not so.
It is a 25minute drive to the start line and somehow I managed to get something workable into the ECU (HALTEC Platinum) by the time we get there.
It is pretty cranky, lacks some punch and the idle is woefull - curse.

Jeff and Cath manage to get the SKELTA into second place in class behind Roman Dumas' Porsche RS3-R Le Manns winning car.
Most of us are wondering why this zillion dollar car is not in unlimited class but thats how it is.

After practice I spend some hours tuning while Jeff pulls the race-day tires off and puts the (very) used practice tires back on.
Typically, Jeff wanders off to chat with the Honda guys while I drive around the large hotel parking lot working the ECU with the help of a cold Corona.

Thursday, Practice Middle Section.
Off at 3am again, the car is now behaving much better - not stalling at lights and better takoff. WOT throttle is ok but still a bit rich.

Jeff reports the car feels a bit flat out of corners but there is no chance to make much adjustments.

Randy Schrantz, back on the mountain for the 37th time in his Cobra manages to better Jeff by one second today.
Not to worry, we are in good spirits though bloody tired and making progress.

Friday, Practice Top Section and Fan Fest night.
More tuning on the way to and up the mountain, working hard on the spark and transient throttle maps.
By the time we get to Devils Playground at 13000 feet, where we start the top section, the car feels and sounds really crisp and sharp.
Finally, we have a good tune into the car and it feels terrific.
Jeff does a sighting run on the first pass, the second and third runs a lot harder, but come in and reports he twice selected 5th instead of 3rd but the car is performing brilliantly.

Luckily we get a fourth run, which Jeff is very happy with.
Two of Jeffs Connecticut racing mates have joined us and are up the road taking photos with another Pro-photographer friend.

Suddenly proceedings are halted - a message comes down from the finish line that one of the race cars has hit a spectator in the run-off area.
One of the Mustangs has had total brake failure at the finish line and has spun into the parking area. The paramedics are immediately there and the injured girl taken to hospital, apparently not seriously hurt.
Last edited by merlin on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tnode
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby tnode » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:02 pm

Hope everyone is alright, safety first. Car sounds good, keep the updates coming.

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:34 pm

The "Pikes Peak" event determine's who can reach the summit the quickest .... :D
However some drivers believe they can descend quicker .....
*doh*

Watch this: "Pikes Peak Plummet" .... :(
This area of the mountain is Infamously named:"The Devil's Playground"
Sam ..... *thumb*

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:27 pm

Here's some thrills and spills already....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjygs1z4yUk[/youtube]

Both driver and passenger hospitalised with injuries but not life threatening.
Last edited by The X on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"

More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779

ImageImage

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”