***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Engine stall - whilst CVT in reverse

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

AshOz85
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Engine stall - whilst CVT in reverse

Postby AshOz85 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:53 am

Morning all,

So on way to work today I had to perform a hill start in reverse. (garage I park my car in's security door didn't open when I scanned in and had to reverse back up and do it again)

Anyway I did a normal hill start procedure in that I pulled the handbrake on, with my foot on the brake I then changed to Reverse and got revs up a little then took off the handbrake and proceeded back up the hill in reverse.

So after I rescanned my card I thought I changed back into drive, but turns out i didnt (no idea why i thought i had). Then depressed the brake and rolled down the hill in what I thought was drive. Steering locked up and then I realised my engine had stalled and I was rolling down the hill in reverse!

I had place the car in park, turn the engine over and then shift into drive before I could drive again.

My long winded question is, would this have done any damage to my trans? or engine or anything. This has never happened b4.

Kal777
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Kal777 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:58 pm

i would guess that the CVT trans as well as all automatic trans in modern cars would have a safety feature that would automatically disengage the clutch. i would doubt that it would damage it.
Injen Cold Air Intake/K&N Invert Pod/BC BR Coilovers/Whiteline Strut Brace/DrIft Blade seats/Penrite HPR5/Penrite ProGear/PBR Gold Dot

Cammo00
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Cammo00 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:26 am

No I pretty sure this would not damage anything you problem find that when you when forward the one way clutch engauge which stalled your engine. But if this keep happening. It well cause damage. Not to the engine much. But the cvt auto it will.
Love That Car. (cj-blue)

sleepy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby sleepy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:29 am

Similar thing happened to my friends lancer. He was driving up an incline, decided he needed to go back and and so had his foot on the brake pedal, letting gravity do the reversing, whilst still in DRIVE. Engine stalled and he was still rolling down this hill in reverse with parked cars. Could not brake either. Luckily didn't hit any of them though lol.

Restarted the car then had control again.

Sir Lancer-lot
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Sir Lancer-lot » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:21 am

May be something to do with the foot brake needing to be applied to shift the trans out of P to D - just a guess but may have some connection.
2011 VRX Sportback - 2.4L - CVT - MMCS

TheOtherLeft
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby TheOtherLeft » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:15 pm

sleepy wrote:Similar thing happened to my friends lancer. He was driving up an incline, decided he needed to go back and and so had his foot on the brake pedal, letting gravity do the reversing, whilst still in DRIVE. Engine stalled and he was still rolling down this hill in reverse with parked cars. Could not brake either. Luckily didnt hit any of them though lol. Restarted the car then had control again.

What a good way of destroying a gearbox. Do it too often and you will probably overheat the fluid pretty quick.
2012 ASX

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”