***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

phones

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

tommo08
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

phones

Postby tommo08 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:52 pm

hey everyone my crappy contract with optus runs out soonish was wondering wat sort of phone i should get? thinking about smrt fones lol cause im currently using a 4 yr old nokia brick lol

wat does everyone else use and who is everyone with?

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:54 pm

how much are u looking at spending.. for the cheap end, the nokia 5800 is pretty good
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

WillF
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby WillF » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:56 pm

Dont buy an iphone yet the new one is coming out 27th i think looks pretty good im an iphone user myself great if your not an overly techy person!

However if your abit of a nerd and like to mess around with your phone Android is the way to go i suggest ethier getting a htc EVO or htc2 both great phones.

Just my 2 cents

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:56 pm

BlackBerry 9700 is quite an amazing phone, but without the additional blackberry plan it's not thaaaat great, some carriers have special BB plans some others you have to pay for the BB plan ontop of your standard plan which sucks.

iPhone could be good if you're into apple, but personally I hate the keypad on it and find it has performance/lag issues and poor battery life.

Apparantly the HTC desire is really good, but I've had no experience with this phone :P

I have a motorola q700(horrible phone), iPhone and work blackberry 9000 with Telstra at the moment.
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:57 pm

HTC Desire is freaking awesome. I got one and took it to a meet... Next meet there were 2 more there :lol:

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:00 pm

Hmm I might check the desire out, I'm after a phone to replace my q700 :P

I don't want to have the iPhone as a "full time phone" because i'd get too aggro with the keypad and battery life

I want a phone that has a full size qwerty keyboard too, i hate touch screen only phones :oops:

ImageImage

tommo08
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby tommo08 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:01 pm

haha yeh i was looking at the htc's either hd2/desire in the telstra store the other day where u can play around with them i like the huge screen on hd2 but the guy i was talking 2 was saying he would recommend it more for business neeeds...which i dont need not just day 2 day stuff but i do like the desire

most of my mates have iphones im not a huge fan lol..but i could learn im just not keep on apple lol

the other thing was the hd2 is windows based compared 2 andriod ....me only using a nokia brick no idea how they differ hahahaha

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:05 pm

at the end of the day most phones are going towards being used for both business and personal use.

3+ years ago, windows mobile phones were pretty much only used for business but now they're being marketed to consumers for apps/social networking etc.

at the end of the day it's your choice what you want to use, have a play with the phones and go with what you like most :)

you can find heaps of stats on gsmarena.com (i think that site is still around) for phones too

ImageImage

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:06 pm

SIR-VRX wrote:HTC Desire is freaking awesome. I got one and took it to a meet... Next meet there were 2 more there :lol:

hey mine wasn't a HTC desire, mine was a X10.

just as good as the HTC desire, different screen, and slightly older android. even then there are very small differences in the android that i can notice anyway

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:07 pm

Upgrade OS :D

ImageImage

tommo08
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby tommo08 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:15 pm

i was looking at the sony ericsons aswell hahah but still not rly decided i have a bit 2 wait lol

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:16 pm

Graham wrote:Upgrade OS :D

it hasn't been released yet for the SE XPERIA X10, but it has been confirmed that the X10 Will get getting an upgrade to 2.1 or 2.2 android. So adrian. the differences will be even less soonish. dunno when its happening but. it is happening.

even then the X10 Has a better camera.:p a whole extra 3.1 pixles.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:33 pm

Here is a bit of a review (the good and the bad) I did for a mate looking at buying a Desire (yes, he has since bought one! Hello Brad if you're reading this :P)

Love it. Best phone ever.

Menus and functions are so smooth and fast. Internet browsing is BULLS#IT quick (Make sure you get it on Telstra NextG). The speed of my internet on my phone is now DOUBLE my internet connection at home... My old Optus was about the same as my home connection. Amazing speed! And 100% HSDPA coverage where ever I have been so far!

The internet integration of the whole phone is awesome! The contacts update automatically from my Google and Facebook accounts. So if you somebody updates their profile picture, email address, phone number etc on Facebook, it immediately updates on my phone! How cool! And you take a photo or video, once click and you can upload it to Facebook, Photobucket, Email, MMS,YouTube etc, no effort required!!

And have you seen the windscreen wipers? They are soooo cool!!!! When it's raining and you unlock your phone, rain sprinkles on the screen, and the wipers wipe them away. See video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9keBipPz32Y[/youtube]

There are other animations for storms, sun, snow, etc too!

Of course there are a couple of things that annoy me, but in the pending software update, rumoured for later this month, they pledged to have fix them!

1. Waking the phone from sleep requires a press of the top power button ONLY, followed by the swipe on the screen. It should be able to be from one of the front buttons too, a la iPod Touch/iPhone. (this will be fixed)

2. If I am operating the phone with one hand I sometimes bump the ringer volume switch when I go to tap the top power button to sleep the phone. After a few days using the phone I got used to not doing it, but it was just one of those things that you get used to.

3.Apps install on phone memory only. I've not managed to do it yet, but others have run out of phone memory due to too many apps. In the new update they will be able to be installed on the SD Card too, which is better.

Some people have complained about the battery life. It doesn't worry me for a few reasons:

1. It's not a phone.It's a mini computer. It can do as much as a laptop and you get 16-20hrs out of one charge, with average use. Try getting that out of a laptop ;)

2. I always charge my phones each night, regardless if they need it or not. that way I'll never run out of battery during the day.

I get about 16-20 hours out of a single charge, that is with quite heavy usage. I'm playing with it most of the time LOL The days I get 16 hours I'm on it pretty much constantly! These figures are not draining the battery entirely either, about 10% left or so each time. Most days when I jsut use it for the odd SMS and phone call or the odd email I don't even drain it half in one day.

I think that covers some of what I love/hate! There is so much to this phone it's amazing! I'm discovering more things each day!

--

Also a great review from YouTube

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFdUAE8tIeA[/youtube]

--

Some more cool things I might add, the CPU is 1ghz and it's lightning quick, everything is smooth as silk. A cool feature also is a battery status screen. It shows you what has consumed the battery power and how much. So for example, a typical charge for me may be 45% system standby, 16% calls, 15% Bluetooth, 15% WiFi, 3% other, 3% web and 3% email.

(Yes, I posted this from my HTC Desire)

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:23 am

Once you have chosen your phone short list :P

Have a look at www.gsmarena.com

They have a full range of reviews and are generally right on the money with the reviews :)

smithsy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby smithsy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:41 am

I too have a HTC Desire on NextG and highly recommend it. Used to have an iPhone on Optus and the phone was slow and the network coverage/reliability of Optus is crap compared to Telstra.

NextG always works and is lightning fast, in comparisson with my old iPhone on Optus it often suffered because of cell tower congestion and it simply would fail to connect to the internet. So far from my experience with Telstra they dont have these issues of Cell bandwidth congestion. Telstra's new plans are pretty good value, but at the end of the day you pay peanuts to Optus or VHA and you get a peanuts service in return, pay that lil bit extra to Telstra and you actually get a decent service with exceptional coverage and speeds.

As for the Xperia I dont like it and besides who even needs a 8MP camera in a phone? If you start wanting better pics buy a real camera with decent optics... For your average facebook pic even the original 3G iPhone's 2MP camera was adequate, so the 5MP camera in the Desire does the job quite well. For anything else I have a true DSLR for proper pics.

Return to “General Talk”