***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Not happy with 2.0 litre fuel economy (CVT)

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:16 am

Usif wrote:I'm gonna be honest guys... From driving a 2.4L 2003 Camry to the lancer; I Love it... 500km+ Average tank; which by my standards is bloody beautiful, since the Camry barely creeped up on 450km... I Think Mits. did a good job with it in all honesty.. Without destorying too much power.

Yea, we have the same exact camry and even with a 70L tank the mileage is quite terrible. Bloody toyota and their ancient engines/transmissions!!! I suppose that's why they are so cheap to service. Our Outlander (2.4L) which is heavier and bigger has much better mileage on the same roads believe it or not.

Depends on your highway you use but I've found at about 100km-110km/h for long trips returns about an average of about 6.8L/100km (trip computer). Actual usage is very close to that.

The key is not to accelerate like a maniac but take it smoothly in the CVT. In our Outlander we try to keep the revs at around 2500rpm - this is enough to keep up with traffic. It feels slow but its only because its really smooth.
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:35 pm

GlenoCJ wrote:
squala wrote:I average about the same on a 2.0 CVT with similar scenarios. I'm not happy either but I always tend to have a lead-foot when the lights turn green because I just feel that the CVT doesn't respond too well in D. I try to slide it to manual mode sometimes and it seems to be quicker from rest.

The RPW tune is something I like to do soon and hopefully this would make the car more responsive and also return better economy with a lighter foot application.

The car responds well to the RPW tune, however only if you use the manual option of the CVT. I have found that if you drive it in auto, i
can't tell the difference since the tune. As for fuel economy, i took everyone's advice and filled it up and reset the trip computer. Unfortunately I'm still getting poor results, done 150 kms and have used close to half a tank.

I'm driving to Queensland next week so be interesting to see what figures I will get on the highway.

In normal driving, I get to about 260 kms or so when the fuel gauge goes to 1/2. I should be able to do over 500 kms before it empties out but it's not really recommended to max it out all the time as contaminants may enter the fuel system.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:58 pm

Following up from peoples advice to calculate the fuel by filling up using the trip meter gave me 418kms for 40 litres of mainly city driving. About 40% of that was using the Air conditioning.

So i returned 9.5 per 100 kms.
Any thoughts on that??

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:13 am

pretty reasonable Glen.

With a CVT, you cannot drive it like a manual where you pedal down constantly. The reason why most people get poor fuel efficiency and don't like the noise *Moooo* is that they pedal down forcefully.

You should instead push it slightly and let go a little each time, then press and let go. Watch your rev meter and the fuel consumption line in your console to judge it. Also remember to use your paddle shifters when you need the torque to kick in.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:36 am

i get 650-700 on a tank in my manual.. and I drive like an idiot
>CLICK HERE to view My 08 Lancer in all its Glory!
"Its STILL happy go fun fun time!"

vlad_the_impaler
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby vlad_the_impaler » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:47 am

From last 3-4 full tanks I've barely manged to get ~ 400km avarage... :(
Yes, it's mainly city driving but still I think it's too much... maybe I should try back without RPW tune to see if there will be any change...

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:55 am

vlad_the_impaler wrote:From last 3-4 full tanks I've barely manged to get ~ 400km avarage... :(
Yes, it's mainly city driving but still I think it's too much... maybe I should try back without RPW tune to see if there will be any change...

If you're only getting 4XXkm on a full tank, you need to check your car. Worse case if all parts of your car are working a full tank even in peak hour traffic should bring you 5XXkm and if like me you watch your throttling/accelerator usage, you should be able to hit 6XXkm on a full tank. Check tyre pressure, put in an injector cleaner like those liqui moly ones, and check your air intake. something is definitely wrong.

Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust

AshOz85
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby AshOz85 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:41 pm

Im testing my actual usage after readin this thread. I didnt do a full fill up tho, think i had 70-80km left in the tank according to the computer read out. Put $50 of premium in it and reset to km/clock thingamejig.

Ill report on what i get back after the tank is done :)

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:08 pm

ofey wrote:pretty reasonable Glen.

With a CVT, you cannot drive it like a manual where you pedal down constantly. The reason why most people get poor fuel efficiency and don't like the noise *Moooo* is that they pedal down forcefully.

You should instead push it slightly and let go a little each time, then press and let go. Watch your rev meter and the fuel consumption line in your console to judge it. Also remember to use your paddle shifters when you need the torque to kick in.

No probs, although i thought the cvt would improve economy compared with a standard automatic gearbox.

bryzabone
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby bryzabone » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:36 am

GlenoCJ wrote:Following up from peoples advice to calculate the fuel by filling up using the trip meter gave me 418kms for 40 litres of mainly city driving. About 40% of that was using the Air conditioning.

So i returned 9.5 per 100 kms.
Any thoughts on that??

mate, the first 6 months of owning my CVT, i got shocking fuel economy also. in the order of 9L/100km. She's now on 21,000km, and a have now switched to FULL synthetic oil(penrite SIN 5W-60) I did the free SRI mod, shortly before i installed an injen CAI, and highway now returns approx. 6.4L/100km when i had the SRI. The injen should improve that again.
My country-road drive to work every day, used to be 10L/100km. now its around 8L/100. give the car time to break in, regular services, change oil as often as possible, and learning to drive a cvt takes a bit of intuition iv'e discovered.
tyre pressure! i run 34psi, as its a nice balance for me.

in city driving, the injectors rarely get a chance to turn off. in daily driving, when coasting, the engine cuts fuel entirely to the engine. your missing out on that in city driving.
Love the CVT!!

:)
For every "Drive Safely" sign, shouldn't there be a "Resume Normal Driving" sign?

Meaty
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Meaty » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:50 am

This fuel thing has had me for a long time now, since i first read Ofey can get 600km from a tank, last fill up i coasted from melbourne to rosebud and back (110km or so) with averages of 7.8L/100km and i filled up just as i left, then i went easy on my car for the rest of the tank, first petrol warning came up at 480km then quick flashing at 515km.

After i filled up i noticed that the car only took 53.X L to fill. im thinking my gauge must need to be recalibrated, ive been driving like a absolute pussy with this tank of petrol and im at 1/2 tank for 270Km, ill wait and see when the lights flash this time.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:59 am

Don't forget that your tyres and tyre pressure also plays a crucial role in this... . I have stock VRX Yokos which I fill to 39PSI in the winter and about 36PSI in the summer.

Also need to use cruise control when necessary.

When seeing upcoming traffic lights turn red. Take your foot off the accelerator or disengage cruise control to let your car roll to a stop.

BR14AN
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BR14AN » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:57 am

I find the fuel economy really good but as soon as you have the slightest led foot itll increase.
I averaged 8.3L/100km on the last tank, if I drive more agressive ill easily get double digits, all drive style dependant.

Loki
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Loki » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:52 am

Hoges wrote:Um, just wondering, Its Christmas day and all you can do think about is your fuel economy

That said ... you're commenting in the same thread?

Fuel Economy has many variables. Tyre pressure. Wheel Alignment, driving style, weather conditions (hot/cold/windy) so making an accurate guess as to what is "average" is hard to predict.

I average 7.4l per 100k's and have now for the 18 months I have had the car. Long distance driving gets me down to 6.8l if I can avoid the starting and stopping. If it begins to rise I check my tyre pressure and adjust if required. I do wheel alignment if required or due and so far this has always bought the average back to what I expect it to be.
You know that you have really got to someone when they invest personal time into tracking you down all over the internet.

You know who you are :)

Return to “General Talk”