***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

To Buy Or Not To Buy - Ipod Touch 8GB

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

To buy an Ipod Touch Or Not To

BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT!
54%
Research it, there are other options
46%

Total votes: 13

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:56 pm

and please can we stop with the spend your money elsewere. i just want to know your oppinion on the pros and cons of the ipod touch
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

VRX boomtown
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby VRX boomtown » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:09 pm

i have an iphone which is similar and there pritty cool except you cant fit all your music on well i have over 30gb of music so yeah.. all the free apps are so cool and some of the paid ones are pritty awsome aswell
keep tuning

VTEC kicked in yo!

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:31 pm

Being apple your limited in what you can put on it. If you get one the uses a windows mobile OS you have a greater range of apps. Personaly I don't believe portable music players need to store your entire library of music. I have a iPAQ (pocket PC) much better for using wireless networks and other programs then a music player. Like most thing technolicately advanced look at its primary function for what you want to apply it to. If you want a music player go the Ipod or something cheaper, If you want to be able to surf the net on a wireless network while listening to your tunes get a pocket PC.

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:14 pm

I have an 1st Gen iPod Touch 16gb. Got it before anybody had even heard of them and the iPhone in Australia. I'm on my second one actually haha

They are awesome. I can't fit all my music on it, but I don't expect to. 46,659 songs is a hell of a lot hahahaha. 247.32 Gigabytes worth. BUT I can stream my entire library to my iPod when it is connected to a Wifi network. (iPhone can stream to anywhere over 3G)

I had it jailbroken from the start to run apps and games, and after the 2.0 Update and the App-Store, I just use the apps and games from there. Yes, not everything is there, but in time more and more become available. The 3.0 Software update in June will open even more doors for app developers with regard to what they can use of the iPod's functions.

I use my iPod all the time for email, web and Wifi scanning (leeching FTW) at job sites and the like. I take it to work and use it all the time. Even before I go to work, I check my emails and what not on the iPod, quicker than loading the computer up.

The battery life is excellent. I get a lot of use from it on one charge. I am amazed. Music quality is good, and I'm happy with that. It's compressed audio so it can only sound so good anyway.

Oh and my missus has an iPhone so it's been compared numerous times. My mate also iPod Touch like mine.

I do highly recommend you get the Apple Care warranty as well, an extra $60 from memory. Pays for itself. Mine did. My Home button (button on the front) was playing up. Sent it away, 3 days later I had a BRAND NEW one in my hands. Awesome service.

Also, the 2nd Gens are a little thicker, but sit nicer in the hand (just like 1st gen iPhone vs 2nd gen) also it has a built in speaker and physical volume buttons. So some advantages. Oh and I do believe it will get A2DP Bluetooth stereo streaming with the 3.0 Software update in June.

Any questions, fire away... I know all. BTW click the picture in my signature and check out where my iPod sits in my car. Flick forward a couple of pages for the new version I made.

Adrian.

EDIT: The screen is something that has to be experienced. It is NOTHING like any other touch screen device. Not a shitty resistive touchscreen, a smooth, glass multi-touch screen. It can sense 2 fingers at the same time.

I could go on all day hahaha :D

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:21 pm

I actually hate touchscreens. I always think they can be damaged so easily by like dirt on ur fingers and shit.

Is it the one where you can actually sorta feel the buttons being pressed?

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:26 pm

The iPod Touch screen is not like the touchscreen on you GPS (resistive type) which are the type that you can feel "press in" when you touch it. The iPod screen is just a piece of solid glass. No movement at all. And it's scratch proof. There is videos on YouTube of people trying to scratch the screens, using rocks, razor blades, keys etc and still no damage.

But it's not crack proof, just ask my missus with her iPhone. She fell onto some rocks, iPhone in hand, glass facing downwards. Nasty.

Can't see the crack itself in this picture, but the LCD panel is damaged obviously. The touch screen still functions though. Only problem is its a bit hard to see hahahaha

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:09 am

Porsche Design P'9521

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:09 am

SIR-VRX you my friend. Are the MAN! You have convinced me +1 for you. I have seen you custom ipod dock aswell. Im gunna see how much i can get it done for though. I know a pretty good audio guy in there area. Ill be buying one of these devices tonight lol

BTW SIR-VRX Was it hard to jailbreak your ipod? Coz im a cheapskate :P
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!

Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:52 am

Might as well just get an iPhone. Essentially you're buying the same thing, only without the phone functionality.

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:40 am

I think Sir VRX posted his comments about the Ipod as an April fools day joke. :)

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

ANDROS
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ANDROS » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:09 am

you should wait a few months... rumours that the iphone "nano" is going to be releaased which will cost less than a ipod touch :)

Ravine
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ravine » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:49 am

Why are you guys being such big whiny bitches when it comes to Apple?

Seriously, has EVERYBODY had a bad experience with Apple EXCEPT me or something???

Every single Apple iPod i have own, solid as a motherf***ing brick. They've gone through every single punishment and come out alive except going through the wash (R.I.P Gold iPod Mini Gen.1) and even then, the new iPod Nanos which use flash memory have become resistant to a little swim after being dried!

Anyway, the iPod Touch is absolutely great. I'm absolutely loving it. I actually won mine from the Stacker machines in the video game arcades. Well what you want to do once you get the iPod though, is get a rubber case or an acrylic case for it along with a proper screen protector. Might i recommend either ZAGGs invisible shield if money is no object or DLO products as they are made by Phillips. The good thing about iPods is that there is no limit to the amount of aftermarket products you can find for them. In terms of acrylic cases, i just picked up a super cheap one from those mobile phone stands in the middle of shopping centres. I've dropped that once so far onto the pavement and it's survived that without chipping the case.

Even if you don't get a screen protector though, the iPods are absolutely bomb when it comes to scratch resistance as unlike other touch screen phones, the screen is made of tempered glass and not a shitty thin piece of plastic.

Now onto the other things.

App Store -
Freakin ace. There are so many good games on it. Since i already have an iPod that's kept solely in my car for music (oh and by the way, to whoever was bitching about MP3 quality etc etc, learn to encode...or stop downloading viruses from Limewire), i've started to use the Touch as a gaming device! It's full of casual games that you can just pickup and play when you're bored. Usually in class i've got either Simcity or a Tower Defense game loaded up so i can kill time. Alot of these cost money but alot are also free so you can look around. Personally i don't mind spending a bit of money when it's only about 2 bucks for a decent app. Apple has made the process of getting apps from the app store a completely streamlined process. Screw Palm OS and Windows Mobile. This is just pick and play.

Videos-
Gorgeous. If you don't have a laptop or something and want to watch videos in bed (wink), this is great. Video quality is perfect, widescreen resolution, built in speaker aswell. What more can you ask for?

Music-
Good! Really really good! This is the best sounded iPod i've heard to date. It also has one of the loudest sound outputs. I've compared the sound output by plugging them all into the AUX input in the car and when volume is at max on the iPod, the iPod touch is definitely the loudest over my Nano and iPhone. Does distort at max though but i'm assuming it has to do with the output being way too high. I just keep it one click down from maximum (the iPod Touch has a volume control button, very useful).

iTunes-
....yeah. Probably the only bad thing about it is this but you can find other software out there to sync your iPod.

Build Quality-
Solid but make sure you get something to protect the back. After 1 day of unprotected usage, the chromed back is already getting covered in hairline scratches. Something about chrome and Apple means scratches.

....so get it.

ANDROS
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ANDROS » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:57 am

lol...

im in multimedia and i use both apple and pc so i am unbiased!

They both have there good and bad aspects! There will always be a war between the two! When it comes to ipods and touch screens, APPLE is far more advanced, although there are limitations compared to your winmobs googles etc!!

The Ipod touch is perfect for what it is made for!

whitlam
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby whitlam » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:57 am

I'm with Ryan, I wouldn't touch anything apple ever again

The products look fine and all but as soon as you have a problem their "customer service" doesn't want to hear about it

plus, there are better and cheaper products on the market

Ravine
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ravine » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:32 pm

whitlam wrote:The products look fine and all but as soon as you have a problem their "customer service" doesn't want to hear about it

My god you are wrong as hell there.

Have you ever walked into an Apple Store?

You're treated like a motherf***ing king.

Return to “General Talk”