***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

What DONT you like about your Lancer?

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

HobartLancer09
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby HobartLancer09 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:18 pm

I'm 6'4 and i still find the sills a lil high. :( only a minor thing though.:)

rokpapaziz
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby rokpapaziz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:03 pm

Chubb wrote:cause it doesnt have anything else going for it :P

There is one thing - fuel economy, but I suppose I should have bought a Prius or VW blue motion if I wanted that.

It was probably newer than your RA too. The new Lancers still don't have the sunglasses holder but they do have the USB and the bluetooth.

Yeah that's true new cars are the shizz

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:21 pm

The fuel economy on the 2litre Lancers is actually pretty good. 6l/100 to mid 7s. The Mazda 3s are mid 8s for the 2 litre version. Another of the reasons hubby steered me away from the Mazdas to look for something else.

You can't find anything else prettier with better fuel economy than the Lancer.

rokpapaziz
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby rokpapaziz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:32 pm

SXLancerMum wrote:The fuel economy on the 2litre Lancers is actually pretty good. 6l/100 to mid 7s. The Mazda 3s are mid 8s for the 2 litre version. Another of the reasons hubby steered me away from the Mazdas to look for something else. You cant find anything else prettier with better fuel economy than the Lancer.

haha everyone is shooting me down today. My Lancer is an alcoholic who only likes to drink top shelf. Perhaps I should have bought a more sensible car

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:43 pm

Definitely not shooting you down mate. I would love a RA. Huge fuelaholic or not. Forget sensible. It's my hubby that wants me to have a car that's good on fuel, not me.

I'm just saying if you love the Lancer and want a relatively economical car then the 2 litre Lancers are still very nice and don't drink that much. If you want a sporty turbo (and who doesn't?) then you're going to have to put up with the crap fuel economy. What does it get normally anyway?

My dream car was always a Mazda RX8 and they get around 12.8 L/100km. The skyactiv rotary is supposed to halve it though I can't see that coming in for a while yet and they are apparently axing the RX8.

(I was just thinking that you should change your name from rokpapaziz to rokpapazizlizdspk. Sorry I watch too much Big Bang Theory :) )
Last edited by SXLancerMum on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slash
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Slash » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:47 pm

I've pulled off a 8.2L/100km.. I average 10L/100km
and I drive a 226wkw Evo X... I do better mileage than Justins Stock RA! :D

rokpapaziz
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby rokpapaziz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:52 pm

Hey i'm not offended at all, in fact i tend to only mention the stuff i dislike about my Lancer because, well, the stuff I like about it is obvious.

I've tested a tank of fuel driving really conservatively and I don't think I will get much more than 450k's to a tank before it's starts bleeping about visiting the drive through bottle O.
That's not a big deal in comparison with my old VL Commodore which would manage the same fuel economy with no turbo and slightly lighter curb weight.

A Lancer in any spec looks better than all of the cars in the same category. Except for maybe Ford Mondeo in my opinion.

Jonesy
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Jonesy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:20 pm

Although I love my Aspire, there are a few...
1. Paint is thin and chips easily
2. CVT is sluggish when starting from stop
3. Sound system is killer, but I wish they put some insulation in the door or something. When playing music loud there is something in the side doors that rattle.
4. Road/tyre noise is a bit loud but the 2011 model seems to have fixed this somewhat
5. Steering wheel reach adjustment.
6. MMCS is great but not being able to change sound settings or GPS when driving... grrr
7. Interior plastics scratches pretty easy. Although this isn't a problem for me, my GF's handbag, etc always scratches passenger side :|
8. You cant open the boot by pressing the boot button at the back of car, if you dont have the smart key on you. Even if its in the car and the car is unlocked (minor problem but annoying).
9. Gas hinges on bonnet (minor issue)

That's about all I can think of, but there's so much more that I love about my aspire!

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:53 pm

In response to Jonesy:

1. Agreed. I don't think anyone who owns this generation of Mits will argue.

2. The CVT was never developed as a performance transmission. The weight of an Aspire also has something to do with that.
In Mitsu's defence, they attempted to address that by providing the higher end models with paddle shifters.

3 & 4. Asking for too much here. Mitsu's were never well known for sound insulation. You can fix this problem with Dynamat and bitumen sprays.

5. This has something to do with generation of car. I don't think all other competitors have this either at that point in time of the release of the lancer. I think it's something that will be a definite inclusion in the next generation.

6. This is a safety issue and Mitsu had to comply. There is however a bona fide solution to this.

7. interiors were never Mitsubishi strong points. The marketing of the Aspire as a premium level car would never work. however if you want more scratch resistant surfaces, would you be willing to pay more? You could either be more careful or get the interiors covered in a protective vinyl. That would help.

8. Now that wouldn't make sense. Imagine you're in the car at a set of lights and pedestrians were crossing behind you. They press the button and open your boot just for laughs. You're in the car with the key. On your system, they can press the button and open your boot?

Surely you must need your key on you to open your boot even in conventional set ups.

9. There are aftermarket solutions for this as well.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

Jonesy
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Jonesy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:35 pm

yeh I fully understand where mitsub are coming from, most of my gripes are just 'rich world problems' style problems and I get how they came about. As for the boot thing, if your car is unlocked and you have one of those handle/button openers like on mazda 3 you would have same issue of someone opening at the lights. Only happens sometimes and you think to your self RARRR as you walk round side of car to open it... again 'Rich world problems' hahaha

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:06 pm

i don't think I'd like the button to work like the way you do it jonesy but I like thinking about engineering problems so I might be able to devise a way for you to get it to work the way you want it to.

We can develop this idea more if you want to, I'd be keen to try and get it working the way you want.

You have to agree that the button can only work when the central locking of the car is unlocked or if the engine is running.

At the moment, the button works if you're there with the key in your pocket. Surely this triggers some kind of signal to the button allowing it to respond.

Perhaps if we put a relay there and get more input signals such as the other 2 instances I pointed out in the previous 2 paragraphs.
The thing is to figure out what type of signal this is then multiplex it.

Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust

Meaty
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Meaty » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:29 pm

just my thoughts on this:

There is a Proximity sensor that knows if the key is nearby the front doors correct?

Perhaps same is true for the boot, and it works off a differnet circuit to the front doors......

Simply moving the Proximity sensor to the front of the car would fix this .....

thats my thoughts on it anyway.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:35 pm

Meaty wrote:just my thoughts on this: There is a Proximity sensor that knows if the key is nearby the front doors correct? Perhaps same is true for the boot, and it works off a differnet circuit to the front doors...... Simply moving the Proximity sensor to the front of the car would fix this ..... thats my thoughts on it anyway.

But then if you try to open your boot without the key in the car and use it the way it was intended, it wouldn't work!

No more sensor in the boot!

Quixand
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Quixand » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:53 pm

I agree with the steering wheel... unfortunately our Lancers don't have telescopic adjustment and watching and reading reviews of competitors in it's class (corolla, civic, 3, focus and there may be some which doesn't have it on the base model but has it on the higher models like the Impreza) they seem to all have it... they offer it as a standard while our Lancers don't have them.

I have ofcourse managed to find my sweet position but everytime sombody adjusts my seats (in the carwash or during services etc) i always have a hard time putting it back to my comfy position and takes a few trial and errors and wish i have telescopic adjustment with the steering.

But that's only 5 minutes spent and doesn't really happen a lot for it to bother me.

I mean there are more "basic" things which Mitsu didn't include in the car. Like for example an auto-up for my window which my previous '96 Corolla had :) And that is more of a headscratcher than the reach adjustment, good thing they resolved that with the '11 cars.

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:43 pm

ofey wrote: 3 & 4. Asking for too much here. Mitsus were never well known for sound insulation. You can fix this problem with Dynamat and bitumen sprays.

I wouldn't say never ofey. We had a 1987 and then a 1989 Magna. They were the quietest cars we've ever had. The only cars I've ever been able to listen to the radio properly in. And we've had 24 new cars in 23 years from hubbies work and a number of our own cars so I've got a lot of experience with cars.

Return to “General Talk”