***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Manual conversion

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

taz
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Manual conversion

Postby taz » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:52 am

Has anyone done a manual conversion on a CJ before?
Is there any fundamentals stopping someone from doing it?
Ive done a few manual conversions before on mitsubishi's, and im about to get the CVT done, but had the curious thought of converting it (and before i go and price it all up etc just wondering if its possible)
Does the box bolt straight up? Is there room in an auto bay for the clutch master etc, does the shifter cradle bolt to existing auto space/shifter cables run through existing firewall hole etc etc.

taz
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby taz » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:42 pm

I can pick up a kit for less than 800 dollars. Considering the car as it stands right now is completely stripped inside and out putting it back together with a few different parts would be negligible in time lost.

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:34 pm

Dont know about the hardware, but I think it would be advisable to flash an equivalent MT rom into the ECU so you dont get stuck with stupid stuff like a 6200 rpm limiter.

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:35 pm

There must be a difference in the front floor pan...the floormats are different between an auto/cvt/sst and a manual.Maybe worth finding a manual car and get them side by side and have a good look.Good luck with it.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

taz
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby taz » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:51 pm

I can get a good look at a manual with the DIY day coming up. Merlin i would just swap out the ECU for a manual one instead of flashing.
I dont want to fuck around too much, if theres more custom work than just drilling the firewall for the clutch then ill probably give it a miss, but other mitsi's ive worked on have all been a bolt in job - just replacing a few things.

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:36 pm

May also need to swap the dash cluster too

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

Life
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Life » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:38 pm

As with most CANBUS based cars, it can be done - however requires a full loom/ecu swap. The car is platform based so all the mounting points for the clutch system and pedal box will already be there.

People seem to be scared doing conversions in newer cars, but its basically the same setup as older cars where an inhibitor bridge would work, with the addition of ECU and loom.

KompleteStyle
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby KompleteStyle » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:49 pm

Isn't the CVT engine different to the Manual 4b11/4b12 too?
mmm... That 2.4L of VRX beauty ;)

taz
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby taz » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:57 pm

No idea about the engine, but this is why im asking.
For me a standard conversion would incorporate cluster, complete loom, ECU, shifter housing/cables, cluth pedal assembly/master/slave, box mount, box/flywheel/shafts, radiator/hoses and probably something else ive missed, but it wouldnt be trying to match auto and manual parts - complete swap of any and everything related. I guess ill get a much better look during the DIY day but for the things i cannot see or know by looking hopefully they can be cleared up here. Can anyone confirm that the engines are different?

Shaun Patterson
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Shaun Patterson » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:15 pm

As far as I know engines are the same, 4b12 is just the 2.4l variant in the vrx/xls

LiX
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby LiX » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:23 am

Engines are the same and the conversion can be done. A fellow Russian done it and if wondering what is the benefit - turbo charging.

taz
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby taz » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 am

Cheers LiX, i've put up an add in the wanted section. Probably wont be chucking on a turbo, i just really hate driving auto's, and while everything in the car is out and im about to spend money on rebuilding a cvt i figure if im ever going to do it, now would be the time cause i know i cbf doing it later when its on the road lol.

Life
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Life » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:08 pm

It may be an idea to visit your local salvage auctions and pick up a wreck... Gets you all your spares and you can make a bit back selling the stuff you don't need. I know in Sydney CJ's go for $1500-2500.

Return to “General Talk”