***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

What fuel do Club CJ members prefer?

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

What fuel do you use?

BP Ultimate 98
31%
BP Regular 95
1%
BP Regular 91 E10
3%
Shell V-Power 98
19%
Shell Regular 95
5%
Shell Regular 91 E10
1%
Caltex Vortex 98
24%
Caltex Regular 95
4%
Caltex Regular 91 E10
5%
Any Mobil Fuel
No votes
Any United Fuel
No votes
Any 7-11 Fuel
5%
E85
1%
Other (Specify)
No votes

Total votes: 78

RustyBin5
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby RustyBin5 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:39 pm

COuld any of these problems be that you had say 91 in the tank then topped up with 98 making a sort of cocktail? Or even the fact that could have run tank right down to the fumes - well known that this can lead to the "sediment" causing issues and clogging a bit?
Former Chevette, Maestro, Audi A3 A4, CavalierSRi CDX, Almero, Lexus is200, Hyundai i30 owner

3:-O

citris.87
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby citris.87 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:41 pm

4x4 it's possible, but not on the lancer, it was only about 3 months old when it happens the first time, and it never got far below 1/4 tank. BP has been accused of selling dirty fuel a few times, not just in Aus but also in the US, and I'd say other countries. But as said before, it could be only some stations. But I know all (of most) of the BP ones must have the issue...

Frosty
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Frosty » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:28 pm

That's interesting, I've never heard of BP having a reputation for dirty fuel. If anything I've heard the opposite, that they have a high standard for purity and consistency.
All I can speak for is the 5-6 closest BP's to me and they all offer very good fuel.
It's all about the particular station's customer turnover..the higher the better.
2.0L - K&N Typhoon SRI - High-Flow Exhaust System - Merlinised

MyEducation
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby MyEducation » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:42 pm

I've had issues with BP Ultimate 98 at my nearest station (box hill) only when i refill when it's hot. I'm not sure if it does anything but was told that fuel expands a bit when it's hot but don't quote me on that haha.
I pump Caltex Vortex 98 now and hasn't given me any issues during this hot summer period either :P

SIX
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby SIX » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:45 pm

shell v-power for me 98 pure gold
1998 MR lancer
2009 CJ lancer sportback
2011 Renault Sport RS250 Trophee Cup
2000 Tommi Makenin Evolution 6.5

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Shell V-Power 98 - if I'm in Brisbane City, I'll fill up on 100

I never buy fuel from cheap independents - many years ago I loyally bought fuel from my local servo - at that time I had a Magna Elite (posh!!) and it kept losing power progressively - I replaced three fuel filters in a few months, but the fix was only temporary.

One day, I was having major trouble getting up the hill heading eastbound into Rockdale during park hour, and being low on fuel, I pulled into a Shell and in desperation I filled the car with Premium ULP - the effect was noticeable within a few minutes driving - plenty of coughing and spluttering as the last of the old fuel was spent and the Premium fed through the system, but once it was through, the car was reborn!

I never had an issue with the car again, and I've never bought 'discount' independent fuel again - all my cars since then have run on Premium!

*peace*

And, yeah, the price is a rip-off 'cos it's never discounted, but the extra detergents keep your injectors nice & clean, the higher octane gives a 'better' burn and you should get better fuel economy, so it kind of ameliorates the extra expense...!
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:17 pm

this is a serious thread right?
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:20 pm

i use 98 cos thats what it says on the fuel door and i use caltex cos its around the corner, and luckily it happens to be one of the cheapest in brisbane, definitely the cheapest in north brisbane.
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1

http://goo.gl/GrUosm

El-Diablo
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby El-Diablo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:45 pm

I tend to use Caltex 98 A few mechanics told me to steer clear of Shell due to issues with 02 sensors and cat converters.

Be very careful about using e10 or there is a fuel here in victoria ive seen only once which is over 100 octane and says only for multifuel vehicles both are high in ethanol.

A number of evo drivers on the forums used ethanol mix and blew motors because the seals on the injectors are not designed for ethanol.

I also avoid Mobil like the plague since the silicon contamination problems here in Victoria.

And a quick tip always fuel early morning when its cold the fuel expands over the course of the day as it heats up so basically you get free fuel LOL.

tencents
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tencents » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:29 pm

I prefer regular unleaded! Unfortunately the car only takes 98 lol.
I prefer BP ultimate, but tend to fill up with 7-11 premium 98 unleaded due to convenience.
- GST basemap
- AMS boostpill
- Works High flow drop in air filter
- Evo X BPV
- UR UICP

Lancer09
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Lancer09 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:16 pm

Since my car is nothing special with no performance mods or anything i just use the normal unleaded 91, doesn't really matter from what brand.

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:25 pm

Lancer09 wrote:Since my car is nothing special with no performance mods or anything i just use the normal unleaded 91, doesnt really matter from what brand.

What do you mean "nothing special'...?

It's a Lancer, man - it deserves the best!

Who wants to take turns giving Kev' a bit of a kicking until he sees sense???

:-)
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

D
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby D » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:30 pm

Vortex/caltex fuels 98 octane, mostly because I get discount otherwise it would be bp
My EVO (X MR) progress: http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?p=328713#328713
4 cylinders, 3 diamonds, 2 litre, 1 turbo, 0 reasons to buy anything else
ROTM WINNER SEPT 2014

Return to “General Talk”