***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

New Car option thoughts...

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

byzon3
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

New Car option thoughts...

Postby byzon3 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:22 pm

Love my Evo X MR however in the process of buying another car and finding it really hard to go past this...

A45 AMG ,look at these stats:

‘Two figures show that the A 45 AMG holds pole position in its displacement segment: the newly developed AMG 2.0-liter turbo engine is the most powerful series production four-cylinder turbo engine in the world. A maximum output of 265 kW (360 hp) and up to 450 Newton meters of torque are unmatched by any other mass-produced turbocharged four-cylinder engine worldwide. The power density of 133 kW (181 hp) is also absolutely unrivalled. In this discipline, the new AMG high-performance turbo engine even outstrips the most powerful super sports cars. ‘

Both manufactures are going to have to lift their game dramatically to demand the kind of money they make consumers pay for their ‘sport cars’. It circa $80k which is a tad more than evo x mr and sti-r is demanding but look at the value you are getting with the merc is fantastic..

Check it out… http://www.mercedesamg.com/webspecial/a45/index_eng.php

What are your thoughts …?

chunky9
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby chunky9 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:29 pm

Looks amazing and those numbers are crazy. Would pick it over an evo x anyday of the week lol. At that price point it would be a very good competitor in the segment

ijustatecurry
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby ijustatecurry » Tue May 28, 2013 6:32 pm

The A45 would be a fantastic car! Goes well, looks pretty good and...it's an AMG! That said, their Bavarian rivals have some pretty convincing alternatives in the 135i and M135i. If you wanted to stick with a 4-banger go the AMG, if you want to move onto a 6cyl, go the BMW :)

Either way, I kind of hate you right now. No offense

:wink:
All bleeding stops eventually!

byzon3
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby byzon3 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:06 pm

chunky9 wrote:Looks amazing and those numbers are crazy. Would pick it over an evo x anyday of the week lol. At that price point it would be a very good competitor in the segment

Yeah that's what im thinking, however need to wait for details about what warranty details hope its at least 5 years and none of this crap 2,3 year warranty lol

ijustatecurry wrote:The A45 would be a fantastic car! Goes well, looks pretty good and...its an AMG! That said, their Bavarian rivals have some pretty convincing alternatives in the 135i and M135i. If you wanted to stick with a 4-banger go the AMG, if you want to move onto a 6cyl, go the BMW :) Either way, I kind of hate you right now. No offense :wink:

yeh I haven't driven 135/m but I heard they are death traps waiting to happen, very short wheel based rear wheel drive so as soon as you slip out the back end forget about it!.. I think there was a article that showed the first ten 1M's in the first couple of months like 7 were all involved in heavy collisions.... yeah amg is sweet but not a fan of the stigma that goes with the bmw/merc
and is it me but all the bmw/merc staff are total muppets!
they saw i came in the X and had a look of 'sorry we don't serve your kind here' lol

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Tue May 28, 2013 10:58 pm

I don't like it just because of that stupid webpage.

'And that ridiculously cool AMG logo embossed on the centre console gear shift'

Really? Who are they marketing this towards?

Leez
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Leez » Tue May 28, 2013 11:09 pm

The CLA 45 AMG on the other hand is breath taking! Trying to get my old man to go take a look at one so he will fall in love and buy one :D I'll drive it more and more and eventually it'll be mine! Mwahaha

TheVeeMachine
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby TheVeeMachine » Wed May 29, 2013 1:11 am

Without going too in-depth:

If we're comparing apples to apples, then it appears the 1M has been quantitatively beaten, nay, thrashed: the AMG is a good $20,000 cheaper, faster, and more economical.

1M owner's probably call their local 'Benz dealership every week to see if their retrospective regret tears are acceptable as deposits.

Sedan: If it were compared say ... to a pear: a Chrysler 300C SRT-8, then the 300C puts up a solid fight with 347KW of power @ $10,000 less than the AMG and a 0-100 time also under 5 seconds; not to mention the comfort of a large sedan, and that self-touted 'timeless' design. I'm a bit biased as I've been a huge fan of the 300C since it was released in 2005, so I won't mention the horrible fuel consumption... oops.

Evolution X: Having a limited frame of reference for this vehicle, having only driven the base model (... of the Lancer); I would still assume that the Evo X lacks the refinement and finesse to be compared qualitatively to the A45 AMG. That said, the 'X' has been launching to 100 in under 5 seconds before it became mainstream. From what I've read, it's versatility derived from incredible grip and power delivery allows it to perform in ways modern supercars still cannot, and poses a much cheaper alternative to parties interested in the A45 AMG.

Coupe: There's also the 370Z, which has comparable 0-100 times and prices.

Supercar: However, if I were looking to purchase a car in that price bracket (I'm not; wish I was though), I would keep an eye on used GT-R prices, as some have dipped into the low $90s in the last few months. I will admit, however, that I am still at the age where I want the car that will slam the back of my head into my headrest the fastest, when I put my foot down.

We all know what GT-Rs are capable of.

Of course, there are many additional factors that must be taken into consideration, such as servicing & insurance costs, resale, wait times, etc. as well as the individual tastes of the purchasers. I'm fickle as hell when it comes to purchasing cars - when I was purchasing my ES, I objectively compared it to the Falcon XR6, Mazda 3, Alfa 159, and 2 '65 Mustangs.

I told you I was fickle :)

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Wed May 29, 2013 1:34 am

TheVeeMachine wrote:when I was purchasing my ES, I objectively compared it to the Falcon XR6, Mazda 3, Alfa 159, and 2 65 Mustangs. I told you I was fickle :)

What about a bus? They have wheels, lancers have wheels, they're basically the same thing :roll:

The evo X is nearing the end of its life, its natural for 'better' cars to crop up.

I'd like to see a topgear episode about the A45 AMG... I have so many mixed feelings about it, with how tiny it is and how stupid the old A classes were. It'd be nice to see its times on the board to compare to other things, and see whether its actually good in real life, not just on paper.

That information is probably out there already but I'm not going to research it :P

AMG has a habit of dumping a crapload of power into a car that can't handle it very gracefully...

Damir
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Damir » Wed May 29, 2013 2:03 am

if i was ever to buy a german car it would be the scirroco R
otherwise as we all know, mercedes and bmw are very questionable for reliability
My Build Thread : http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=14731
ROTM Winner OCTOBER 2015 (Nominated for favourite CJ)
-Australia's first airbagged CJ-

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Wed May 29, 2013 3:05 am

Damir wrote:if i was ever to buy a german car it would be the scirroco R otherwise as we all know, mercedes and bmw are very questionable for reliability

Wait, isn't VW reliability even worse than Mercedes and BMW?

byzon3 wrote:yeh I haven't driven 135/m but I heard they are death traps waiting to happen, very short wheel based rear wheel drive so as soon as you slip out the back end forget about it!.. I think there was a article that showed the first ten 1Ms in the first couple of months like 7 were all involved in heavy collisions.... yeah amg is sweet but not a fan of the stigma that goes with the bmw/merc and is it me but all the bmw/merc staff are total muppets! they saw i came in the X and had a look of sorry we dont serve your kind here lol

The M135i can't be any more catastrophic than a V8 ute. Big power and torque sent to the rear with practically no downforce = imminent disaster. Only a stupid nut that turns off all driving aids can cause a big collision in the BMW; it is an otherwise awesome RWD hatch in the right hands. But I do see great promise in the A45 as well, but just don't get an S3/RS3.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

BZC-45S
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BZC-45S » Wed May 29, 2013 6:49 am

The only perceivable downside to the A45 AMG is fail wheel drive, while BMW's 1M or 135i are RWD. I really dig the styling of the current gen A class tho.

I had an extremely pleasant shopping experience with Merc dealer - Mercedes of Sydney, but Marshals at Parra are quite a different story...

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Wed May 29, 2013 7:52 am

The main thing that puts me off the A-class is the interior and the goofy screen they've sticky taped onto the top of the dash.

I'm a big fan of the 135i, would've bought one if I had not wanted 4 doors and more space - the 1 series is a properly small car.

Agree with Leez though - if you're keen on the A, I'd be hanging for the CLA, at least just for a comparison.

byzon3
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby byzon3 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:00 am

thanks all for your input....
will keep an eye for more information

LaNcE
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby LaNcE » Wed May 29, 2013 1:36 pm

im on the same boat as you looking for another car, im just not sure if your going to sell up your evo.

I honestly wouldnt sell the evo for another sedan, maybe yes, for a C63. I dont see the point when you will have the same 4 doors, OKAY 3 seater at the back (when i say okay its okay for tiny skinny asian kids.)

In your choice i would say to maybe steer away from the cheapo / lower end of the AMG segment, spoke to a mate who works for merc, saying that the A45 AMG is going to be pretty much an A-class with ++ on some parts. being an AMG the parts are going to be on par pricewise with the bigger AMG brothers.

A45 AMG <C250

ijustatecurry
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby ijustatecurry » Wed May 29, 2013 5:58 pm

[/quote:db9f0f1cde] yeh I havent driven 135/m but I heard they are death traps waiting to happen, very short wheel based rear wheel drive so as soon as you slip out the back end forget about it!.. I think there was a article that showed the first ten 1Ms in the first couple of months like 7 were all involved in heavy collisions.... [/quote]

I think there's a bit of confusion with the current 1 series/M series range. Was never suggesting the 1 Series M Coupe due to $$

135i and M135i were the suggestions which by all accounts are as dangerous as suggested, actually a fantastic handling car.

I think someone mentioned the 370Z which is another valid option for sure
All bleeding stops eventually!

Return to “General Talk”