***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Car cleaning

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Car cleaning

Postby bd-850 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:30 am

if admin want they can change the format or make it a sticky

What do you us to clean your car?

Product Brand
Inside
Outside

Difficulty
Inside
Outside

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:37 am

Inside:

Meguiars Cloth/Trim Cleaner
Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer
Meguiars No Smear Glass Cleaner - this stuff says its okay for tinted windows...the smell it gives off says otherwise. I usually just use it on the outside of the windows not the inside.

Outside:

Meguiars Quik Clay
Prima Amigo Polish/Glaze
Prima Epic Wax/Sealant
Prima Slick Quick Detailer
Prima Hydro Wax/Sealant

Difficulty
Inside: Spray and wipe..simple.
Outside: Fairly hard with the wax/polish as I've never used it before so it's quite a steep learning curve. Some great advice from Joel @ Zas has made it fairly easy. Spray wax/sealant is simply spray and buff/wipe, same as the quick detailer.

I could do my hair in the reflection I get out of the bonnet of the car if I had any.

www.zas.com.au if you need some advice (they have a great FAQ).
Last edited by dumb& on Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:54 am

Inside: Amourall, Pollyglaze
Outside: Autoglym Super Resin Polish, Usually wash the car at the car wash..

Difficulty, amourall, spray it on a microfibre cloth and whipe over pannels. Pollyglaze for my windows, gets fingerprints off etc.

autoglym super resin polish, fairly easy, just need to keep it off the plasic pannels other wise its a bit of a pain to get off
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:02 pm

I only use Autoglym. Inside and out.

I recommend the High-Definition Wax also. Expensive, but looks the goods.

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:13 pm

can i just say tadzOrz grab the Armorall and throw it as FAR as you can, that stuff is FULL of silicon and is sh!t. and actually if you read the car manual is says not to use silicon based cleaners.

but good to see people use Polyglaze

DavidAnthony
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby DavidAnthony » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:40 pm

I thought I would wait a while before I use anything on the car since it is still new, but in a few more months:

I have a friend who is stocked up on Zaino and he offered to let me use it on my car, so soon I will be giving her the full Zaino treatment with a coat of P21s on top of that.

Inside from experience all you need is a damp cloth except for the windows or if you have stains on the seats.
Sometimes I use Mr Sheen on the dash and doors but never on steering wheel, pedals or gear stick. These things just need water or water with a little soap if they are really filthy. This would be a once a year job if that, basically I have not found anything else that will leave the interior as is, I hate shiny interiors.
RALLI//////ART

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:43 pm

I havnt amouralled my interior for so long anyway. Im headng out to wash my car today, might hit up autobran and see what they got for the interior. I put up a post a while ago about whether or not to use amour all and since then i havnt used it. Only put it up coz thats the only thing ive used.

DavidAnthony
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby DavidAnthony » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:43 pm

+1 on the Armorall
It's meant to repel the sun but that stuff seems attract it.
RALLI//////ART

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:47 pm

yeah and leaves an oily resedue. hate the stuff

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:49 pm

Ive never noticed the oily residue.

ive also noticed aswell, and its been happening since the day i got my car, there is like a vapour that is coming off my dash onto my windsheild?

It aint fog i know that, coz in some lightings i can see fingerprints and where my mum has drawn on it? Ive tryed the polyglaze to get it off, which it does, but it just keeps coming back, and ive got a dash mat which i thought would stop it but its still doign it...any ideas?

Superintendent Chalmers
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Superintendent Chalmers » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:58 pm

Yeah, another worse contender for oily residue is Meguiars Natural shine. The product is thicker than a liquid - almost as thick as sunscreen. It shines alright and makes it look new (car is only 6 months old), but the next day you need to wipe over it with a dry cloth to clean up excessive oil runs. (It doesn't stain which is good) This product is great, but it can be annoying. Outside I use ICE polish from turtle wax and ICE Spray detailer in between waxes. Using this method I have no water marks in the first 6 months of ownership of my black CJ.

DavidAnthony
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby DavidAnthony » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:01 pm

Lukewarm water, if that doesn’t work I would just leave it and hope it comes out with time.

If you’re really desperate to get rid of it you can try adding the tiniest little bit of soap, but which type of soap to use is where I get lost. Preferably something very gentle.
RALLI//////ART

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:18 pm

go down to KFC and get a heap of the wipes and use that, alcohol wipes are the best for cleaning

Mizta B
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mizta B » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:58 pm

Meguiars is very good and Autoglym Super high resin polish is the only polish I'll use now on the CJ.
Damp soft chamois on the interior plastics and damp cloth on the seats.
Alcohol wipes are very useful on the windows or the chamois. :mrgreen:
Australasian Gerbil Rearers Organisation, Official Re-Seller.
MY09 Rally Red VRX ClubCJ's 1st 4B12 2.4L - CCJ Lifetime Member #0004.
Merlinised....

aussie027
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby aussie027 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:26 pm

Armourall LOW SHINE is great as a once per yr interior vinyl wipe over.

It is available but hard to find. Big W is where I got my last few bottles.

If u dont use too much the slipperiness disappears after a few days and it will not cause a huge dash reflection in the windscreen like most standard products or too much vapour film on the inside of the front/rear windscreens. It has a barely visible low satin finish, virtually no shine at all.

Exterior Paint---Guys i use the Glare products that contain glassplexin.
it is paint protection product used by professionals who some dealers use and charge u, $1000-1500 PLUS and yet if u go to the guy directly he will do it for u for $4-500.

There are several distributors around the country, just google the above product names . It is very easy to apply yourself and should last for years. A kit can be purchased for approx $120 including enough product for several cars and all applicators. It is maintained by using a highly concentrated car wash that also has glassplexin in it.

It is a US product as are many others mentioned in this thread and is used by aviation companies like Boeing and major airlines on their aircraft for paint protection so that should tell you something.

So far it has been excellent and prevented stains in the clearcoat caused by rain, hard water and washer fluid!!!!

Any of those along with hot temps I find will virtually guarantee stains in the clear coat that will not come out without a cutting compound and buffer.
I FIND YOUR LACK OF FAITH DISTURBING......

Return to “General Talk”