***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Help!!Strange flapping/tapping noice coming from engine.

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Evo_Girl
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Help!!Strange flapping/tapping noice coming from engine.

Postby Evo_Girl » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:23 pm

Hi all....Haven't been on here for a while but I really need some help/advice.

My car has done about 53,000km and last week I noticed a very weird noice almost like flapping. At first I thought it might have been something that might be a bit lose. Check everything I could but everything seemed fine. Checked oil, coolant and everything is full and clean.

I took it to a couple of mechanics the first only had a drive and listen he didn't think it was anything to worry about. The second however also made me accelerate the car to see when the car actually made the noice...It only happens when the rpms are between 2000 and 3000 and almost exactly on 2500 if your over or under the noice dissappears. He couldn't see anything noticeable butt he sound was definitely coming from the belt area so he used this weird thing to have a listen to some of the parts and he thinks he might have found the problem. One of the 3 bearings in the area isn't running as smooth as the others. The other 2 make a nice smooth motion but the one that he suspects might be worn or lose makes a very different noise. So he said we might need to replace it and see if it fixes it. He's confident it's the bearing but not 100% sure.

Question is it normal for only one particular bearing to become faulty and worn out? And at such low Km? Another thing I noticed I believe the area he was looking at was around the aircon belts and recently when the fan for my aircon kicks in ot makes a very loud click on and off could it all be related?

The car drives fine, takes corners good, brakes good and no lights have come on

Any advice would be great as I'm not all clued on when it comes to the belts and bearings.Thanks

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:38 pm

if your looking at serpentine belts and notice a possible bearing failure in one of the pulleys.

has your vehicle had the re-call performed for incorrect belt from factory?
This will also include replacement of pulleys that are out of wack.
As the factory belt creates far excessive wear on the pulleys which can cause it to wear out faster.

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index ... Id/1066231

AC clicking sound is normal. just the loud compressor turning off and on. your revs will jump slightly when this occurs.

Evo_Girl
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Evo_Girl » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:00 pm

Thanks for the reply. I haven't received any calls from Mitsubishi or any letters but I might have to take it in and tell em that it might be something to do with the belt. I had a look at the belt and they look fine, no cracks or anything. Do you think this could be covered under warranty of it wasn't a recall but indeed a bearing?

My car was purchased in 2010 so it falls under the recall. Definitely something to follow up. Thanks heaps.

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:07 am

The recall is due to the fact that the material that the original belt was made from created excessive wear on the pulley and could cause an issue that it would wear down the pulley to a point that the belt would snap or fall off.

It is normal to have some wear as both devices are moving, creating friction in the process.
But it seems Mitsu fessed up to this one and recognized it recall

Evo_Girl
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Evo_Girl » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:20 pm

Apparently even though my car is a MY10 model I don't get the recall. My VIN number isn't on the list. Should I push for it?

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:48 pm

Yes you should push for it, they make up the ranges through stats.

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

raihan_rahman03
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby raihan_rahman03 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:49 am

My car is MY10 and I had the belt replaced at Alto Mitsubishi Pennant Hills on Thursday. The pulleys and tensioner were fine on my vehicle. However if they were faulty they would be replaced as well.

Return to “Maintenance”