***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

SST clutch slipping or just needs new fluid

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

adamhumphrey
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Re: SST clutch slipping or just needs new fluid

Postby adamhumphrey » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:09 pm

Ok by the sounds of it the sst hasnt had software updated to the new improved shifts, pressures etc. They have just flashed the SST software from an Evo X to get supersport. If it was me I would contact AK racing, Evoscan, or Even Rp Motorsports and see if you can get the sst mod done. AK Racing and Evoscan do remote installs of it. Rp Motorsports and Ak Racing rebuild the SST also they may be able to help with working out what is your issue. The SST is such a different gearbox after I got the Rp software on it. I tried the Evoscan V1, Ak Racing (Before rebuild) and then the Rp motorsports one after the rebuild. Even on a stock SST the gearbox was amazing after. Then after the rebuild Rp installed their version over the Ak racing one and it was different in a better way. Everyone has their own takes on what they think it should be. I found Evoscan was very aggressive. Ak racing's was still shifting a little too high for me in the other modes. Rp's was perfect for me. I am also lucky I purchased the definition for the SST software off a Russian guy and I could download and change things anyway.

From what I was told back in the day when they tuned Raliarts/Evo X they had to fool the SSt to behave when they put more power in them before they hacked the SST Ecu. After the SST hack they could make it would better with the Ecu tune and everything was much more well behaved and drivability was much nicer.

Im not a mechanic or anything but spent lots on doing stuff and getting software and emailing lots. If I can help I will definitely try.
MY11 Evo X MR (2011-Current)
MY20 Asx GSR (2023-Current)

MY11 Peugoet 207 XT HDi (2020-Mar 2023)
MY09 Lancer Sportback VRX (2015-2019) - Sold Nov 2019
Owner Operator: - Adam's Attention to Detail. Mobile Detailing and Automotive Installations.
https://www.facebook.com/AdamsAttentionToDetail/

JaymeF12
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby JaymeF12 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:59 pm

Surely its not the SST flash, cause Tokyo Motorsports are like the only major service area for SSTs and JDMs in WA and thats where i sent it so I assumed that they would have the revised flash, tbf the flash is 4 years old so it might not be the first variant of the SST flash (Done by prev owner). They were the ones who told me the clutches are slipping (Confirmed it) So i'm not sure, would they lie about something this major?

This is the video i got of the RPM while driving (RPMS drop to 900 im in 1st gear)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp6Ju7D8fRI

adamhumphrey
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby adamhumphrey » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:00 am

Im not sure if they would fail this fast, I thought the upgraded clutches are designed to last a little longer and take more abuse. My SST with stock clutches lasted ages, 125,000kms with one fluid change and a tuned car for a few years. I gave it a hard time and knew nothing about all the little things you shouldnt do. There isnt to many software upgrades for the sst. The Ralliart version was different due to the slight differences in gears and no super sport. When they flashed it to give you super sport they actually flash an SST version from an EVO. These versions havent changed in a long time.

The 3 Evo X versions are
8631A749.cff (08 MR)
8631B001.cff(09-11MR)
8631B151.cff(11-MR)

I believe the SST mod everyone is using is based around the third B151 file.

Here is what they would have done to put Super sport and Launch control on your Ralliart.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-ralliart-engine-turbo-drivetrain/627420-how-get-s-sport-mode-launch-control-ralliart.html

What I meant about the tune is that, originally when they tuned sst cars before the sstmod they had to play around with some of the ecu tables to get the sst to behave how they wanted. It wasn't the greatest but it achieved the goal. Now with the SST mod it allows you to tune the sst without having to fool it by ecu stuff. There is a few tables thet play with. When my car was first tuned before the sst mod it was ok but I would still get weird changes etc. After I installed the sst mod before I got it rebuilt I could notice a huge improvement. Gear shifts where much crisper, at better shift points in sport and super sport modes.

The clutches may be slipping and need replaced but even if you install the sstmod it would help you prevent this from happening again so soon. They change the clutch pressures and plus many other things. I have no real idea what else is in the rom but Ill post a screenshot to show you of my car.

Its a huge outlay to fix clutches so you dont want to be doing it again and again.

SST rom stuff

The SST variables within the ECU Tables

MY11 Evo X MR (2011-Current)
MY20 Asx GSR (2023-Current)

MY11 Peugoet 207 XT HDi (2020-Mar 2023)
MY09 Lancer Sportback VRX (2015-2019) - Sold Nov 2019
Owner Operator: - Adam's Attention to Detail. Mobile Detailing and Automotive Installations.
https://www.facebook.com/AdamsAttentionToDetail/

Return to “Maintenance”