***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Buying a new Lancer SX

Let Us Help You Decide What To Purchase.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Advv
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Buying a new Lancer SX

Postby Advv » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:56 pm

How much did you guys pay? (I checked the "how much did you buy it for" thread but there weren't many SX's.

How much should do you guys think I should be paying? (obviously I'm going to try to go for lower than RRP/current sale price)

(This for for a Lancer SX. auto)

Thanks for any advice/help!

Cheers!

ripflare10
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby ripflare10 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:04 am

Hey Ray,

I brought a 2010 SX auto 2 months ago, just before the sale. I paid 23,500. This included the metallic paint, bonnet protector and weather protectors. I think I saw an add for the SX manual for 21,999 drive away so I'm guessing the auto would be only a couple grand more on the sale...of course you can talk them down. Make sure you talk to heaps of dealers. Make it known to the dealer that your comparing price as well so you can cut to the chase other wise they go on for hours.

Looking back on my experience I think I would have been a lot more tougher with the sale man. As after speaking to a couple people here I got an ok deal with my car but probably could have got a bit more taken off if I had pushed for it.

Hope this helps you. If you have any more questions with the SX let me know. Happy Car Buying :)

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:18 am

I can't help you with what price you should be looking for but call all the dealerships and find the lowest prices, then go there and haggle and make sure to ask for freebies (floor mats at least!).

And personally I say don't get the paint protection or anything. Not worth it.

I never do understand the 'I want the lowest price I can get but I want an auto' threads though... If its a wife thing, $200 of manual lessons = $2000 saving off the car. Aren't they making manual and auto licences the same thing soon anyway? Ie everyone who can drive should be able to drive manual.

Sorry, got sidetracked, good luck! :P

Advv
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Advv » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:13 am

Thanks for the responses guys!

I got offered just under 21k for a demo auto (non metallic paint) the other day so I was wondering if I would be able to beat that. Do you guys think I should take it?

The only extra I would try to get would be the black vinyl cover front (don't know what it's called but if you look at a white evo, you'll know what I mean as I think it has the black thing as standard)

The auto thing is a preference. I can drive a manual but I do a lot of city driving (uni and back) so I'd get pretty annoyed in peak hour.

Thanks again for the messages guys!

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:16 am

Dire wrote:
I never do understand the 'I want the lowest price I can get but I want an auto' threads though... If its a wife thing, $200 of manual lessons = $2000

What so your saying because we want an auto we should just pay whatever price is on offer. You brought a VR did you ask for the lowest price possible, if so then you should have brought an ES same theory. Just because we buy autos does not mean we can not drive a manual. I can drive an 18 speed road ranger MANUAL gearbox commonly found in quite large trucks, can you? But still I brought an auto because I wanted a cruising car as I regularly do huge drives, Ray's choice is because he does a lot of traffic driving.

Anyway Ray back to your purchase 21k for an auto SX sounds pretty good to me but how many ks are on it, if a couple of hundred all good if more yeah maybe it should be a little less. I would still get them to chuck in some freebies mats for sure.

As with the bumper blackout (vinyl) for the front, don't even worry about the Mitsu one it does not cover all the bumper and you will see alot of white paint showing through. The better option is to get a sign writer to do it or even get the vinyl yourself from Lukeday (our club sponsor) for less then $20 posted and put it on yourself.

Tac89
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Tac89 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:52 pm

Hey, i bought a sx manual just over 2 weeks ago now. brand new for 20990 drive away. i thought that was a pretty good price, may of been able to get it for less too, ohwell.

ianmartin
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby ianmartin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:01 pm

If you get a brand new Xs for around 21 to 23 drive away, id say thats a reasonably good price.

But i agree with Dire. Dont get the paint protection, its a bit of a marketing scam.

they made such a mess of mine from the yard i bought it from, that it cost the dealer nearly 4000 to have the paint protection removed and to repair the paint on my car.

Just buy some good wax and wash and use it on a regular basis. Its a bit of hard work but it will relax you while you do it. And the results will speak for themselves. :)

Advv
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Advv » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:15 pm

Thanks for the advice guys!

Unfortunately, I found out today that my funding will be less than what I had thought. Probably won't be buying a new Lancer SX... Might be looking at used ones now. Only problem is that most of the used cars are ES's (non alloy and no spoiler.) Might have to look at a different car model if I can't find any decent SX models.

Cheers

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:17 pm

alloys and wing is something you can put on later, you can then pick some wheels that you really like

Advv
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Advv » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:46 pm

Yeah I was thinking that too Ben. Just enquired about some used ES's. Bit shit that it doesn't have steering wheel controls but it's a lot cheaper than buying a new SX.

Advv
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Advv » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:06 pm

Could you guys help me decide?

My budget is a maximum of $18500 but keeping it below would be great as the $18500 is pushing it. The budget includes $500 (roughly) to transfer registration and $1100 (roughly) for comprehensive insurance).

http://nsw.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicl ... Z262863406

Let's say I'm able to talk the white RX down to $17000. I'm not 100% sure what the difference between the RX and SX is but they seem pretty similar.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/pri ... D202785AC1

And that I'm able to talk down both black ES lancers to $15500. The one with 40000kms has about 5 months more rego than the 35000km one).

This one is an oddball. Don't like the rims, rego is pretty much expired and slight body damage but he seems like the easiest to negotiate. Should I even bother? (he goes to my uni though so pretty easy to inspect).

So yeah, just wondering what you guys would do if you were in my position?

anzac_77
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby anzac_77 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:00 pm

Given that the SX is a rather new model there might be slim pickings for a while...

ianmartin
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby ianmartin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:26 pm

If you have cash to spend. Go to an auction. You might be able to find a used goverment lancer.

Thay can go at auction for a song. This would help you buy some new rims and other bits that you want.

If you havent got cash. Go with your gut feeling. It tends to be the best intuition.

Nick07
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Nick07 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:34 pm

Don't forget about colour, do you really want a black car? Also the warranty is 5 years from the purchase date, so the newer the car the longer the warranty is valid for you.

Advv
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Advv » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:54 am

Hey Ian,

I have cash but I've never been a fan of buying a car at an auction simply because it's a bit too fast paced (same with buying a car on ebay).

Right now, the white, black and grey are the three most appealing colours to me. And if I get white or black I think it'll be easier for my friend to paint my future spoiler as colour coding will be easy.

Good point about the warranty Nick. I'll definitely have to keep that in mind. Sucks that the 10 year warranty isn't transferrable though.

Return to “Thinking of Buying a Lancer?”