***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

timing belt/ timing chain?

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Kimi
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

timing belt/ timing chain?

Postby Kimi » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:05 am

Hi guys, I knew this question have been asked lots time, but never able to find exact answer for that. Does Lancer cj need change timing belt on earth? My one is 2007 Lancer cj es MY08 CVT.

As service book stated 100,000km replace timing belt.

Thanks for any opinion and suggestion[/img]
spirit of competition

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:05 am

The Lancer has a timing chain.

As for service interval i believe its 100,000 kms

Kimi
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Kimi » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:53 pm

Oh, I thought timing chain on a car engine should last for the entire life of the car.
spirit of competition

feral
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby feral » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:55 pm

The timing chain is not replaced as a service item. Should last as long as the engine

R4LLI4RT
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby R4LLI4RT » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:41 am

just any fyi
early evo and ra have a very weak chain
if ur approaching 100k change it anyway.

even a strech of 2mm will throw an error light on your dash but if it streaches further due to hard driving then ur engine will go.

make sure they install the new updated chain.

i would change chains in any car at 100k
3Inch Custom Cat Back Exhaust
Home Brand Alloy UICP
DBA Slotted and Drilled Rotors
K&N Panel Filter Replacement
DBA Extreme Pads
Turbosmart Dual Port BOV
Tein S Tech Springs
Painted Calipers (Makes it look faster) ;-)

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:26 pm

Kimi wrote:Oh, I thought timing chain on a car engine should last for the life of the car.

This should be the case, but unfortunately, Mitsu would rather have its owners test the cars for anything that might come loose instead of them conducting rigorous scrutineering before actually putting the vehicles on sale.

If one has to replace the timing chain at 100K, then it defeats the purpose of having that instead of a timing belt. For one thing, it's very difficult to get the old chain out and put a new one in, unlike the belt which can be DIY. Plus it costs a lot more to buy and have fitted.

There haven't been any reported chain failures for NA Lancers, but as was said, there were issues in earlier RAs and Evos.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

Kimi
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Kimi » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:55 pm

squala wrote:[quote:815fe9fe68=Kimi]Oh, I thought timing chain on a car engine should last for the life of the car.[/quote:815fe9fe68] This should be the case, but unfortunately, Mitsu would rather have its owners test the cars for anything that might come loose instead of them conducting rigorous scrutineering before actually putting the vehicles on sale. If one has to replace the timing chain at 100K, then it defeats the purpose of having that instead of a timing belt. For one thing, its very difficult to get the old chain out and put a new one in, unlike the belt which can be DIY. Plus it costs a lot more to buy and have fitted. There havent been any reported chain failures for NA Lancers, but as was said, there were issues in earlier RAs and Evos.

Ok, so it means that I can just ignore the 100K timing belt service, just curious since lancer cj does not has timing belt why it still wriitten on service book.
spirit of competition

Kimi
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Kimi » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:55 pm

squala wrote:[quote:815fe9fe68=Kimi]Oh, I thought timing chain on a car engine should last for the life of the car.[/quote:815fe9fe68] This should be the case, but unfortunately, Mitsu would rather have its owners test the cars for anything that might come loose instead of them conducting rigorous scrutineering before actually putting the vehicles on sale. If one has to replace the timing chain at 100K, then it defeats the purpose of having that instead of a timing belt. For one thing, its very difficult to get the old chain out and put a new one in, unlike the belt which can be DIY. Plus it costs a lot more to buy and have fitted. There havent been any reported chain failures for NA Lancers, but as was said, there were issues in earlier RAs and Evos.

Ok, so it means that I can just ignore the 100K timing belt service, just curious since lancer cj does not has timing belt why it still wriitten on service book.
spirit of competition

Kimi
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Kimi » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:58 pm

himynameisdaniel wrote:The Lancer has a timing chain. As for service interval i believe its 100,000 kms

Do u have any idea what they do on service the timing chain. Or dealer just charge money but not doing anything on timing chain.
spirit of competition

Craig
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Craig » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:34 pm

I had the timing chain changed on my RA due to stretch (almost 1cm) at 49,000km, I'm coming up to 100,000km since it was changed and when I rang Mitsu they told me they don't change timing chains unless they stretch

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Craig on Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kimi
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Kimi » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:19 pm

Craig wrote:I had the timing chain changed on my RA due to stretch (almost 1cm) at 49,000km, Im coming up to 100.00km since it was changed and when I rang Mitsu they told me they dont change timing chains unless they stretch Hope this helps.

Very helpful info, just one more question, how can you tell if ur timing chain stretch or not? THX
spirit of competition

Kal777
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Kal777 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:53 pm

two ways. either the Check Engine Light will come up and when connected to a programmer the code for "Chain out of acceptable tolerance" will come up. or the Valve cover can be taken off and there is a guide point for Top Dead Centre and a marking on the chain that relates to a marking on the block. mitsubishi are meant to take the valve cover off at 90,000k service to check this mark as well as test and adjust the valve tolerance aswell.
Injen Cold Air Intake/K&N Invert Pod/BC BR Coilovers/Whiteline Strut Brace/DrIft Blade seats/Penrite HPR5/Penrite ProGear/PBR Gold Dot

Kimi
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Kimi » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:31 am

Great, just rely on the info dash, maybe I am too old school, I really doubt if these electronic things can be trusted, as they can really easy to go wrong.
spirit of competition

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:37 am

u dont rely on the electronic info but it is helpful in a preventative way, i wouldnt ignore a warning but most of the chain break problems have been on evo`s and to a lesser extent ra`s, not NA`s.

in other words turbo charged vehicles
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

Return to “Maintenance”