***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Correctly Adjust Handbrake?

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Correctly Adjust Handbrake?

Postby tadz0rz » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:20 pm

Harrow everyone :)

Just a quick question, I know things such as brakes should be left up to professionals to do however I would rather give this a crack myself since it is only the park brake and not the front brakes which do primarly all of the work.

Ive had a quick read of how to 'adjust your handbrake' (http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=4536& ... +handbrake) however through reading that a previous member mentioned that it needs to be adjusted at the rear somewhere.

My handbrake has gotten to the point where the back of the handbrake almost hits the center console. The rear brake are due to be changed aswell however in light of a recent 'situation' i need to make use of whatevers left on them untill I can get the funds together to replace the rear pads.

Can anyone post up the service manual on how to correctly adjust the park brake? Or shed some light on how to do it correctly?

Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:29 pm

Michael I believe there is a screw in the rear brake drums that you turn to open up the drum pads. One side will be left hand thread and the other right hand.

Remove the disc/drum. It may be hard to remove, mine was. Use a soft hammer or a block of wood against the disc and a hammer. Rotate the disc as you hit it.

Inspect carefully for the screw. When turning the screw the pads will open or close. Adjusts to the pads touch and then back off a little. You maybe able to get to the screw through a hole often found in the drum.

I hope that helps. If you get really stuck i know Chris and Shane did it on chris's car or i can pull mine apart to work out exactly how to do it.

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:31 pm

Does the lancer have any sort of adjustment hole you can put a brake adjuster into without having to remove the hub? Alot of older cars ive worked on havent required the drum to be removed, is the lancer different?

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:33 pm

Hmmm someone has been ripping skids have they Tadz :P, I am sure you would be only doing this on closed roads bahahaha.

Anyway hand brake adjustment is done on the rear wheels. I think in the centre of the rear disc (both sides) you will find a screw that can be tightened/loosened (it may be under a dust cover you pop off). To adjust the hand brake screw this screw in a direction (I am sorry but I do not know which way is tighten and which is loosen, have a go and test the hand brake and see the result). Make sure you adjust both the same amount.

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:34 pm

No you should not have to remove the drum or the disc

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:34 pm

Okay I just looked as I can now see through my wheels :smile:

There is a rubber covering a hole. Remove the rubber cover and find the screw and turn. Your guess is as good as mine which way it goes.

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:17 pm

Yep, do what Troy and Nath have suggested.

Also to get the disc off a few taps with a rubber mallet should get it off if the hand brake is that loose... This is only for when you replace the disc though :)

Generally you tighten it till you cant move the disc and then back it off a few clicks. It should be backed off enough that the drums are almost touching, and your handbrake goes up about 4 clicks, but the disc will still spin freely.

All handbrake adjustment is done here, do not use the adjustment at the other end of the cable, and all adjustment is done while the handbrake is disengaged.

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:22 am

Thanks for all that guys, Will give it a crack over the next few days, kinda annoying having to rip it that high. Probs should inspect how the drum pads are doing anyway so I might just take off the hub to see how their doing after 75,000km

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:31 am

They shouldn't really wear much, unless you have been rippin' handbrakies :P

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:57 am

if constantly have the hand brake applied really hard then the cable will stretch. After you have adjusted both rest drum shoes adjust the cable to 3-4 clicks.

Then try apply the hand brake as much as required. For example if your car is parked in a flat garage handbrake does not to be on more then 3 clicks. My last car(manual) I had for 17 years and I never had to adjust the handbrake.

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:58 pm

I used to have a sloping driveway and was there for about 2 year and because of that I pulled the handbrake a little higher than usual, obviously repeating that over and over for a 2 year period has obviously had an effect on the adjustment. No handbrakies around here either, theres no tread on my back tires so like a handbrake would make any difference haha

Return to “Maintenance”